US Cyber Command official

<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:39 am

US Cyber Command official

It's official...

Pentagon approves creation of cyber command

The Pentagon will create a Cyber Command to oversee the U.S. military's efforts to protect its computer networks and operate in cyberspace, under an order signed by Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Tuesday.

The new headquarters, likely to be based at Fort Meade, Maryland, outside Washington, D.C., will be responsible for defending U.S. military systems but not other U.S. government or private networks
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 am

Re: US Cyber Command official

Sounds interesting. :)
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 pm

will be responsible for defending U.S. military systems but not other U.S. government or private networks

i fail to see how that is different from what NSA already does, at least part of it.  and .gov is still gonna be getting pwned.
<<

Laz3r

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:11 am

Though I feel this is a good first step, there is more to be done.  This short article lightly touches on another area that should get a good looking at.  Think Die Hard 2.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 am

i fail to see how that is different from what NSA already does, at least part of it.  and .gov is still gonna be getting pwned.

It probably won't be much different. I don't know if it was in that article or a different one where it said whoever is in charge of this command (which will not be a separate group, but a pulling together/joint effort made up of multiple agencies) will also be director of NSA.
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:05 am

ChrisG wrote:i fail to see how that is different from what NSA already does, at least part of it.  and .gov is still gonna be getting pwned.

I imagine they will have more clout that the rule book alone. I see their role being more enforcement than innovation.

Jim
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:19 am

thats what the JTFs were already doing. 

Return to News from the Outside World