Testing This Friday, but....

<<

Sopwith

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 pm

Testing This Friday, but....

Hello all,

First, a quick intro and history. Ill keep it brief.
  • I have over 10 years of IT (non security related) experience
  • I have been Studying for CEHv5 for the last 4 weeks.
  • I've been doing self study.
  • I have used the official study guide and counter hack reloaded as my only reading material.
  • I have taken CBTnuggets CEH Course.

Here is the pickle I am in.  I registered for the test in March through Pearson and was given v5.  I just checked the Pearson/Vue site to get exam details (where the location was, etc..) and low and behold, it says now im sitting for v6.

So here is my question...

I have spent the last 4 weeks on the material for v5.  Exclusively.  I knew the newest revision of the test was coming, but had no reason to study for v6.  Plus all the material i can find is for v5. 

I guess i am looking for some advice. Should I take it? OR... should I cancel it, and put the money towards OSCP?
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:48 am

Re: Testing This Friday, but....

Well, the reason you're taking v6 instead of v5 is because v5 was retired June 3, 2009:

http://www.eccouncil.org/Exam/312-50.htm

The objectives and modules covered in the v6 exam are the same as the v5 exam. If you have studied the books you've listed, and you're confident in your knowledge of the concepts and tools presented then you should be fine.

BillV
<<

Sopwith

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 am

Thank you.  I actually canceled the exam, read this and then called ECC and was able to use my original code.  I am still taking it this friday.

I appreciate the reply, and will post again once I pass! (staying positive)
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:27 am

Great! Good luck and keep us posted :)
<<

Sopwith

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:07 pm

I should have left it canceled.  My original suspicions were valid.  The v6 test is NOT the same as the v5 test.  There were topics in the test that were not covered in any of the material.  I failed with a 60.   

Im kind of at a loss on what to do, I wasted a lot of time, energy and my own money on this.    Oh well? ???
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Don't give up. Use it as a learning experience and press forward. Can you share with us the topics that were not convered in the material without giving away specific questions? This may help others facing a similar situation.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Sopwith

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Sure... Ill run down the list from: http://www.eccouncil.org/Course-Outline ... Course.htm

I had at least 5 questions from each of these, including all the tools.

I even called EC Council to discuss this prior to taking my test and was told the same thing as Billv.  Coming from two sources, i felt pretty good about.  Even though the link Billv provided was essentially a direct match to the official v5 Study guide, it was misleading. 

My advice for anyone taking V6, is to STUDY for v6.  If you are in my situation, go with your gut and cancel the exam.

My failure I can't really chalk up to learning, other than what I learned studying for v5.  What I learned from failing, was be sure you study material for the test you are taking.

I have contacted EC-Council to request a re-take discount due to the change.  A long shot for sure, but I'll keep you posted.

List of Topics on my test (im sure i missed some)

Hacking Laws

Virus Writing

Assembly Language

Exploit Writing

Smashing the Stack for Fun and Profit

Reverse Engineering

MAC OS X Hacking

Hacking Mobile Phones, PDA and Handheld Devices

Bluetooth Hacking

RFID Hacking

Hacking USB Devices

Cyber Warfare- Hacking, Al-Qaida and Terrorism

Internet Content Filtering Techniques

Spying Technologies

Corporate Espionage- Hacking Using Insiders

Software Piracy and Warez

Hacking Web Browsers (Firefox, IE)

Proxy Server Technologies

Data Loss Prevention

Hacking Global Positioning System (GPS)

Computer Forensics and Incident Handling

Credit Card Frauds
<<

Sopwith

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:29 pm

The above list only includes topics that were NEW from v5 to v6 and 5 questions/topic is a stretch, but I would say new/unknown material accounted for up to 30-40% of the exam.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm

That is certainly surprising to hear. If anyone else that has taken the v6 exam can confirm this, I'd like to hear.

I am about to leave for the weekend, but I will look into this as soon as I get back if it is not resolved.

edit (6/29): I'm back now and have sent off an email about this

BillV
Last edited by venom77 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

fataku

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:09 pm

I recently took the exam (3 weeks ago) and let me tell you that the V6 exam is way too diferent than V5, it cover more than the first 26 modules, and yes its actually a hard exam =/.

BillV wrote:That is certainly surprising to hear. If anyone else that has taken the v6 exam can confirm this, I'd like to hear.

I am about to leave for the weekend, but I will look into this as soon as I get back if it is not resolved.

In the meantime, I would recommend you continue to press the issue with EC-Council (info@eccouncil.org) and make sure you say you called them and that they told you the modules were the same.

BillV
OSCP OSWP GCIH GPEN CPTS CEH... I dont like alphabet soup...
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:59 pm

That is a little shocking on both sides. I was taken aback when I did the interview with EC-Coucil on the differences between v5 and v6:

Interview: EC-Council Offers Details and Insights on CEH v6

It seemed like the additional modules were optional/self-study. That seemed strange as it didn't advance the credential at all. Heck, who would study optional modules if they were not included on the exam? I've also heard from a number of other sources including BillV that the exams are the same. But if that was their decision and it was announced, so be it. But to hear this now is again shocking. IMHO, this is what they should have done from the get go. But saying one thing and doing another just isn't right.

Can all of you look at the interview above and see if I you would have taken it this way? I thought at the time I was clear, but I could see how it could be possible, if we look at the exact words of the responses, that it could be taken another way.

Thanks for looking into this, Bill. I'm sure many of the EH-Net readers, myself included, would like to hear a clarification on this.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Sopwith

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:44 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for the input and effort.  I apologize for my initial negativity, it was less than 30 minutes after failing and I should have spent a little more time wording my responses.

I read the interview, and agree that the additional modules were optional and we wouldn't be tested on it.  Especially when the interview reads...

6. Can you provide a list of the module names separated by which are required and which are optional/self-study?

HM: Modules 1 – 21 are required, and the rest are self study.

I have emailed Haja, and info@eccouncil.org for information.  In my opinion which is obviously VERY biased.  I hope they will understand where I am coming from and offer a discounted re-testing rate to allow me to study the new modules.
<<

UNIX

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:32 am

It is interesting to read this, especially as not only one person "claims" this. Maybe it is not clear for outsiders as V6 was offered not long ago and not many people have taken it yet. Also it is a little "weird" that it seems not to be optional as it was said in the interview held by Don.
It would be nice if you could publish their response for us so that we could read it too.

Peronally I would have learned for optional modules too as I am interested in this kind, but considering that one have to learn anyway very much and keep it to pass, I would eventually only had a look at it after the exams.

Looking forward how this one ends.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:26 am

This is the official reply I was given:

In simple terms, CEHv6 contains more questions which are added to the existing CEHv5 pool.

It is correct CEHv6 covers the same exam objectives as CEHv5.
<<

Sopwith

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 am

Thank you BillV for following up.

If i were to interpret the response below, it states there are more questions from the CEHv6 material.  The objectives were certainly not the same, nor was the tool set I was tested on.  How was I supposed to know what specific GPS tools are without studying for them? 

I hope the note I sent both Haja, and Info@eccouncil will at a minimum get them to take a 2nd look at my situation.

Im not a sore loser (despite if this thread makes me sound like a whiner), and can accept failure.  I have failed other exams before, and recognized that I was the cause.  In this case, i honestly feel like i took the wrong test.

I wonder if they could pull my exam, seperate v5 questions from v6, and grade it just on the v5 stuff to see what that score is.  Not as an official, but to see if i knew that material.

Thanks again, and my next update will be upon a reply from EcCouncil.
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker