Laptop for wireless pentest?

<<

alucian

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:20 am

Laptop for wireless pentest?

Hello guys,

I have an old thinkpad, centrino 1.4 GHz, 14 in, and with 512MB RAM. Do you think it is good enough to start study wireless pentest (I plan to do OSWP) or I should buy a better one?

If you suggest to buy a better one, do you suggest a bigger display?

Thanks
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Laptop for wireless pentest?

For studying this should be enough. You don't need a high-end pc/ notebook for learning networking and similar. ;)

For some aspects in the field of wireless security your wlan card and equipment is also very important. Recommended is a wlan card which supports beside some other things monitor mode.

In this thread you will find some recommendations about wlan cards.

I would also recommend a good wlan router such as the linksys wrt54gl.
<<

alucian

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:52 am

I am using WRT54GL router (with tomato firmware) for 2 years now, and I ordered on ebay a WG511T wireless card.

I saw a video somewhere about a replay attack, I think, and the guy was running backtrack on vmware and as host xp. If I'll do this my system will be very slow.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 pm

For VMWare RAM is very important. On my previous laptop I had a 2GHz CPU with 512MB RAM and i could run one virtual machine without problems. However, I decided to upgrade RAM to 1GB and recognized a significant difference. If possible I would therefore first recommend to try upgrading your RAM before buying a new machine.
When I played around with WLAN stuff I also had the feeling that I could do better when working with two different machines (physically) then with virtual machines.
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 am

I think that if you are can boot your laptop from a BT USB thumb drive, you should be fine.  You may be better going outside of VmWare for Wifi testing anyway.  I know that I had issues with BT3, VmWare, and packet injection.  BT4 is much better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup

Return to Hardware