City asks job applicants for passwords

<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:52 am

City asks job applicants for passwords

Wow, ok... and I thought the $80,000/song fine was ridiculous... but this is definitely going too far

City asks applicants for Internet passwords

HELENA, Mont. – Job applicants with the city of Bozeman are finding that their private Internet discussions and pictures may not be so private after all.

The city is asking job seekers for the user names and passwords to Internet social networking or Web groups to which they belong.

The city argues that it only uses the information to verify application information — and says it won't hold it against anyone for refusing to provide it. City officials say such checks can be useful, especially when hiring police officers and others in a position of public trust.
<<

unsupported

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Re: City asks job applicants for passwords

Wow, seriously?  Why don't they ask for your paypal, ebay, and email passwords to! 

What possible information could they possibly need to verify from your personal and private communications that is not all ready available publicly?

I wonder how easily the city employees would fall to social engineering attacks...
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm

"The city argues that it only uses the information to verify application information — and says it won't hold it against anyone for refusing to provide it."

If they won't hold it against anyone for not providing, then one would think NOBODY would provide.  This is the most ridiculous request ever!  I could see if this was for applicants to the computer crimes divisions of the CIA / FBI or something, but seriously???  I'd think they'd be opening up a can full of civil rights lawsuits for even asking for this, as you KNOW someone will be claiming discrimination, based upon this.

All I can say is... wow!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 pm

I wonder how easily the city employees would fall to social engineering attacks...

Haha!

"From: Administration
This is to remind you that it is time for your annual Internet review. You must provide us with all of your usernames and passwords to all social networking, etc. sites that you participate in. This was part of your application process and was also agreed upon to be a regular review"

Yeah, makes you wonder....

I'm not sure how many people are actually giving them their information. I'd expect that no one would as well... but who knows.
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Funny.. unfortunately some people will "fall" for this while others just may say that they are not registered at such places.
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 pm

That is just insane!  I guess this is what happens when someone high up reads an article, doesn't understand it, and decided to develop some new policies. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jason

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:16 am

In comparison to some of the things going on during searches of electronic devices at US borders, this is actually fairly tame. It is, however, pretty ridiculous.
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:39 am

This policy seems almost devoid of merit. It feeds the culture that it's an employeers/schools/clubs right and duty to police the personal activities and views of its members.

Policy about posting business-related information on social networking (or any other) web site ought to be sufficient to cover the bases; this policy implies that someone will take it upon themselves to log in, read and vet information posted. Why?

Jimbob
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:27 pm

anyone that is dumb enough to do that deserves what they get.
<<

timmedin

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:00 am

Wow, I'm stunned
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com

Return to News from the Outside World