Vulnerabilities in shopping cart applications

<<

tormentor

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:04 am

Vulnerabilities in shopping cart applications

Hi all.
I am interested in web application security, and the last few months I was studing the shopping cart software which is used in the online shopping sites. Many of the shopping sites are under continious attack by malicious people in order to obtain credit card information from there, so in order to protect some shopping sites simply do not store the credit card information in their databases, but some of the sites do. I guess it depends of the shopping cart software.
So can you tell me more about this - which shopping cart applications store the credit card info and which don't? Are there any other methods of securing these applications against attacks ? How safe are some of the most popular shopping scripts out there ?

Thank you.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 am

Re: Vulnerabilities in shopping cart applications

Can't say I've done much research specifically against shopping sites. But as with all web applications, there are certain vulnerabilities to look for. Sounds like a great learning experience.

You should have a look at the OWASP website
<<

unsupported

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:33 am

If you want to research this in a practicle sense you can ook at Foundstone's free tools.  They have "Hacme" tools which will simulate online banking and shopping websites which are hackable here http://www.foundstone.com/us/resources-free-tools.asp.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:58 am

In my opinion the safest way would not to store any cc details at all and instead use a third party processing company like google checkout or paypal, using an encrypted communication channel.

Return to Web Applications