SANS/GIAC study guides

<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:12 pm

SANS/GIAC study guides

Are there generally no third-party study guides for any of the SANS courses/GIAC exams? I've come across some old stuff that's several years old and probably not too applicable to current tests. Just thought it was kind of weird that there aren't any books out there.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: SANS/GIAC study guides

Haha, nevermind... I was reminded that you are allowed to take the courseware/books/notes/etc. with you into the exam.... which would make sense as to why there are no study guides.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:04 am

You can take your notes and books into the actual exam? I didn't know that. Although I think you won't succeed at the exam if you have to look up everything as the time is running out but it will surely help for a few questions where you are not sure about.

I haven't found any third-party materials for SANS/ GIAC but from what I have heard the official ones should be very good, although I can't verify this by myself.
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:33 am

awesec wrote:You can take your notes and books into the actual exam? I didn't know that. Although I think you won't succeed at the exam if you have to look up everything as the time is running out but it will surely help for a few questions where you are not sure about.

According to GIAC (http://www.giac.org/proctor/) you are able to take anything that fits into a normal backpack, excluding electronic devices.  So, books, notes, printed slides, whatever are allowed.  While it would be prohibitively inefficient to have to look up all the answers in the allotted time, the test does require you to have the practical knowledge before hand.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:49 am

You can take your notes and books into the actual exam?

Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting. I believe the thought process is that out in the real world you don't know everything, so some things have to be looked up.

As unsupported mentioned, you don't have time to look up every answer (at least I don't think you do - maybe if you were really quick), so you need to have a good understanding of the material going in.

This relates directly with what Jason posted about studying for GIAC exams :)
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 am

Just curious but will someone check what notes you are actually carrying with you?

I like the idea as it is, as you wrote, not always possible to remember everything and you have to look up something. As long as you know where and how it wouldn't be a problem.
<<

apollo

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:54 am

In my opinion, using someone else's notes, while probably not getting flagged at the test center, would most likely be useless to you.  The single best review tool that you have, as the exam must be taken a minimum of 2 weeks after you took the class, is to create an outline of the course material listing page #'s and references.  Going through and generating that table of contents, while it provides you with a quick lookup, is also going to help refresh your knowledge on those tools/skills.  If after having made your own table of contents, you still have to look up everything, then realistically you shouldn't be trying to take the exam.  Almost every certification exam I've taken in general has had questions on it that were so easy that if you don't know the answer, you shouldn't of even attempted certification as well as questions tough enough to provoke thought in experts.  The second of the two types of questions are probably what you will end up needing to look up regardless just to make sure your understanding is correct (if you want a great score instead of just to pass), where making the table of contents helps is it will raise the bar for where your threshold is for having to go back to the book.    Anyway.. just some thoughts.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 am

awesec wrote:Just curious but will someone check what notes you are actually carrying with you?

I don't know if that is the case.  I would assume they do a quick check of the backpack for contraband and then watch you during the test to see if you have electronic devices.

Does anyone have specific experience with this?
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 am

I'm sure it's different by testing center and how 'shady' you look when you walk in. I just carried the course books in with me and asked the lady if I could bring them in to confirm. I'm sure if you carry in a backpack, they will ask to look in it, or have you pull out what you want to take into the room and hold the bag for you.
<<

mafebresv

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:38 pm

eplanetlabs have study guides for almost every certification of GIAC

http://www.eplanetlabs.com/GIAC-Certification-Exam-Tests-Study-Books.html

I bought some study guides once from them when I was preparing myself to go for a java certification and I was a little disappointed with the contents of the study guide.
SCJA - CRCEP - CREA - CEH
<<

Jhaddix

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:03 pm

all those guides 404 :( looks fishy to me

Return to General Certification