Microsoft Anti-virus

<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 am

Microsoft Anti-virus

Hmm, free?? Interesting...

Microsoft to unveil free anti-virus software

Microsoft Corp is getting ready to unveil a long-anticipated free anti-virus service for personal computers that will compete with products sold by Symantec Corp and McAfee Inc.

A Microsoft spokesman said on Wednesday that the world's biggest software maker is testing an early version of the product with its own employees. Microsoft would "soon" make a trial version, or product beta, available via its website, he added, but declined to provide a specific date.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Microsoft Anti-virus

I've used other freebies like AVG and Avast and preferred them to Symantec/Norton. We'll have to wait and see how this goes....
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

SynJunkie

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Lets hope it better than there Spyware (Defender) effort!
----------------------------------
http://synjunkie.blogspot.com
<<

former33t

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:01 pm

Forgive me for being cynical, but I just don't see any free product from MS cornering the market on AV and competing with McAfee and Symantec.

To be honest, I don't even want a paid product from MS protecting my computer.  The reason I need AV help in most cases is to protect from problems with the operating system in the first place.  From a philosophical perspective, do I really want the same guys who left vulnerabilities in the OS protecting it?
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:33 pm

fomer33t, i hear you.  Although, i would never run symantec or mcafee on my computer either.  MS bought a great Exchange-aware anti-virus product a while back, whose name escapes me at the moment.  It's a shame that it has completely been absorbed and dissolved. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 am

I am pretty sure that Microsoft will in future times include their own antivir-software in their operating systems.
<<

dalepearson

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:53 pm

I think (hope) we may be surprised with this one.
Microsoft has its flaws as an organisation, and with its product line, but I really do think they have come a long way in recent years from a security perspective, perhaps their AV offering will be impressive, I also think the defender, firewall and malicous tool scanner are not to bad.

Dont get me wrong, I am not an MS fan boy, but I do think they are making more secure systems now, and I know we have alot of patches coming out, but patch Tuesday shows some commitment.

Watch this space I recon....
<<

N15M0

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:54 pm

I wonder if Microsoft will definately make its own free anti-virus service, and by doing this, have it's own dedicated department to anti-virus. hmmmm... Will it be contendable with the other main anti-virus leaders out there? I'm quite happy using Avast, AVG proved to be a bit annoying after detecting harmless programs and games as malware, and Norton became a nusance because it wouldn't uninstall at a stage because of those annoying renewal of account messages.
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:17 pm

At my work we use Trend micro's officescan enterprise and actually microsoft security essentials found multiple infections that officescan, sysclean, malwarebytes, avast, and avg did not. I tested this for a few days straight as we where being bombarded with a few fake av viruses and microsofts solutions worked where the others failed. Also Ketchup I believe you are thinking of forefront for the exchange av which is still going on today and is used is some enterprises.
A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP/XP
<<

N15M0

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 am

Quite impressive... I would love to get my hands on this av soon!

Seems very promising...
<<

JollyJokker

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:34 am

I always refused to become an anti-MS guy. And I still do.

Microsoft has lost market share from Open Source software during the last years. This is why they have improved their product security and also to heal the wounds created on the MS brand name in terms of InfoSec.

But I totally understand (and agree at the same time) with former33t's argument.
Last edited by JollyJokker on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Malware