Looking for a Mentor

<<

W3bWarl0cK

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Looking for a Mentor

It's what the subject says, I'm looking for someone who's willing to teach me everything there is to know about IT security and hacking.

At my last job, I learnt asp classic in two months at my last job under the wing of a guy who had learnt it in college. Despite doing everything I could at home (as I don't have money for courses or anything), I hadn't learnt in years what he taught me.

So, my question again, is anyone willing to take me under their wing (to as great an extent as possible over the net) and teach me about hacking and IT security? I'm very eager and willing.
<<

jason

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Looking for a Mentor

Soolari is definitely the guy you want. h3'5 7H3 M0$7 @W350m3 u83R H@cK3r 0n 7he pL@N37
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:09 am

jason wrote:Soolari is definitely the guy you want. h3'5 7H3 M0$7 @W350m3 u83R H@cK3r 0n 7he pL@N37

Now that's just cruel and unusual punishment...

WebWarl0ck, if you want a mentor the best way to find one I've found is to research topics and techniques yourself. Over time as you prove yourself and build a rapport with those providing support and guidance the mentor/mentoree relationship comes naturally. If you put in the work and ask questions that require more complex answers than the first hit on Google then you should find the whole EH-net crowd as a mentor, we're all fairly friendly (mostly)

Don't know too many people that'd take someone under their wing following nothing more than a request, at least no-one I'd trust....
<<

W3bWarl0cK

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:17 pm

So, you're basically saying that I've still got loads of work in store for me...

Jason, I don't know what's worse, the fact that I could read what you said, or the fact that you typed it  ;D

I just get frustrated, because my ideas about hacking are very much in line with what you see in Hackers(1995) - so very infantile.
Do you guys know about white papers on the real stuff for beginners?
<<

jason

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Yuppers. Get yourself a new bookshelf and fill it, go hit some conferences, buy Apollo a few rounds of something blue with an umbrella in it.

You may want to start out with:

Counterhack Reloaded
Grey Hat Hacking
Hacking Exposed 6

Also, work on your certs if you intend on a career in security...
<<

Jhaddix

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:20 pm

<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Jhaddix wrote:Dont forget:
Hacking: the art of exploitation

My favorite!  I think that I would actually put this one in my top 10 books (including non-technical ones), period.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm

W3bWarl0cK wrote:So, you're basically saying that I've still got loads of work in store for me...

Yep, if you don't love security, look at taking your career in another direction.

That said, if you put the work in you can learn quickly and get the support you need from others for the stuff that stumps you, if you've got the right attitude and motivation.

Hope this is of some help, and good luck out there...
<<

unsupported

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 am

I thought I chimed in on this topic, but I guess not.

Look for a mentor in your current workplace.  Find the "security" guy and offer to take him to lunch (or at least buiy him some Dew).  See if he can guide you.  You can also start attending chapter meetings of security groups in your area (like ISSA, InfraGard, or even Windows or Linux user groups) or if you are in school find the computer club.

I am lucky enough to work at a huge corporation that pushed mentoring.  While I've done a lot pulling myself up by my boot straps I have gotten a lot of good advise from a mentor for certifications.  Now I am looking for a career mentor.

Good luck.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 am

Heh, I was pretty sure that I replied here too.

Before trying to get a mentor I would recommend to work only by yourself and see what all can be archieved. When you have some questions or are stick somewhere most people will help you when you ask in a nice way and they see that you did something by yourself and showing efforts.

Reading books, websites and mailing lists is surely a good thing to start with, working on some projects may help too.

Good luck.
<<

Laz3r

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm also fairly new to the game, but from my experience, everybody here has got it right.  Start with some books and websites, try to build a basic understanding of what you're getting into.  Hacking and security can be a fairly wide subject, and it changes as new technologies become popular.  Some of the books I started with are: Hacking for Dummies, Grey Hat Hacking, and I'm getting into The Art of Exploitation.  Another book I enjoyed was The Art of Deception, as it sheds more light on a big side of hacking that other books only touch on lightly.  Your knowledge of the target is equally as important as knowing how to exploit it.  Building your knowledge of networking hardware, software, protocols, etc, will also help grasp how exploitation techniques.  To Pen Test networks, you need to understand how they work. There is definitely a lot of work ahead, but in this field, there's always a lot more to know.

-Laz3r
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:52 am

This is probably not the usual suggestion I would normally give someone but if you are as bright as you make yourself to be then you can try this.

Download Backtrack 4 beta and backtrack 3. If you have a copy of vmware workstation/fusion or can afford a copy get the vmware images, otherwise get the live cd's (recommend making a Live USB key).

Boot into them and look at the tools and then investigate what they do by reading documentation, googling etc.

Then setup another vm image or a cheapo second box for a lab and direct the tools at the box.

All the courses at the beginners level focus on using tools anyway and whilst doing a course like OSPWB will be much better than stumbling around yourself, there is nothing better than using the tools and learning directly from use.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:45 am

Yeah, or just go here, select China and now you have a test lab.... (not that I would recommend that, just throwing it out there as an option) ;)
<<

cyberbreeze

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:52 am

BillV wrote:Yeah, or just go here, select China and now you have a test lab.... (not that I would recommend that, just throwing it out there as an option) ;)

Ha ha ha, Thats funny man, I went to the site and was like, what is this guy on about, then I clicked the button. Classic.  ;D

W3bWarl0cK: I have asked this question before many times and got what I thought was just a pile of l337 anti-n00b trash, but actually it is true.
Nowadays there are so many books, sites, videos, that you just don't need to. What you need to do is obsess, read, watch, stalk ;) also twitter is huge for infosec at the minute. Another thing to do is find people around you either in security or with security interests, meet, talk, and drink (a lot.)

A good source is mubix' recent blogs, and also THIS site.
C|EH

Return to Other