doh

<<

bickmade

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 pm

doh

So i just got done taking the test and I failed  :-[

But I do have to say, I was exctied to take the test and I liked how it was put together. Since the test retires tomorrow I'll just do v6 later this year. I'm going to take a break for now and I'll pick up on the v6 in a month or 4.  It did seem like I was taking the v6 test because were some things on there I never heard of.  But for those you are up next, study study study.
A+, Network +, Security +, C|EH
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Re: doh

Bickmade,
I would like to congratulate you on making the effort to do the study and take the exam.
Also I would not think of it as a failure, focus on the knowledge you have gained, and the experiences you have gained.

All the best in the future.
<<

bickmade

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Yea, it was a good experience and I did learn alot.  I only shelled out 250 with the two books so that wasn't bad money wise.  I'm not mad at all but I got a 68% which comes out to 3 questions :)  O well.  I'm getting ready for DefCon w00t.
<<

mambru

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi everybody, I've been following the forum for a while but this is my fisrt participation.

I'm sorry to hear you failed the exam, just a quick comment, are you sure you took version 5 and not 6?

I'm saying this because I had mine today, and although I had scheduled the version 5 and received the confirmation and everything in order, Pearson delivered the version 6. I didn't want to take it since I was not ready for so many new modules introduced in v6, I knew I'd failed it and wasted my money. Now I'm trying to get my refund, hope I get it.
<<

former33t

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Yeah, sorry to hear you failed the test. 

Likewise mambru, sorry to hear about your experience with Pearson.  I've had problems with them and Prometric in the past, but I live in a smaller area so the testing centers are few and far between.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

bickmade, sounds like you came pretty darn close to passing.  Just study up a little more and you'll be ready.  I'm planning to take mine sometime at the end of this year when my employer releases the certification reimbursement money (trying not to take it on my own dime).

Have fun at Defcon.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

bickmade

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:33 pm

mambru wrote:
Hi everybody, I've been following the forum for a while but this is my fisrt participation.

I'm sorry to hear you failed the exam, just a quick comment, are you sure you took version 5 and not 6?

I'm saying this because I had mine today, and although I had scheduled the version 5 and received the confirmation and everything in order, Pearson delivered the version 6. I didn't want to take it since I was not ready for so many new modules introduced in v6, I knew I'd failed it and wasted my money. Now I'm trying to get my refund, hope I get it.

Thats funny that you mentioned that because I felt like I was taking the v6 instead of the v5 test even though it said v5.  I had some questions on there that I was not familiar with and when I went back to the v6 ciriculum on the site, it had some of the items from the ciriculum on the test.  I felt like it was decieved.  I got another voucher and I'm going to take it next month.  I talked to someone from EC and they said the test didn't change much, just added a bunch more questions.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:06 pm

I don't believe that there are any different modules covered in the v6 exam than in the v5 exam, they should be the same. There is however, a large pool of questions that the exams pull from. You should be able to study using the v5 review guide for the v6 exam.
<<

eRiCtHyReD

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:39 am

But I do have to say, I was excited to take the test and I liked how it was put together

When I took the exam, I found that the wording that was used was not the best one I have seen in exams. Anyone else had this impression?

However, English is not my mother tongue...  :)
CEH MCSE CCNA  Security+ Network+ A+
<<

mambru

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:45 am

eRiCtHyReD wrote:
But I do have to say, I was excited to take the test and I liked how it was put together

When I took the exam, I found that the wording that was used was not the best one I have seen in exams. Anyone else had this impression?

However, English is not my mother tongue...  :)

I took the exam 2 years ago (I failed it  :( )so I don't remember about the exam, but I have that same impression when reading the material provided by EC-Council, sometimes it's misleading/confusing
<<

eth3real

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 am

When I took it (over a year ago, I believe), it was a very difficult exam. I didn't get to take the class like a boot camp, but I had the video based class.
I failed the exam with a 69%, and passing is 70%. I started studying to take the exam again, with the courseware and a study guide, and after a few months, I decided to call the EC-Council (right before attempting the exam again). I mentioned how I had been studying to take the exam again, and gave them my testing results from before. They reviewed my case, and let me appeal the results and gave me the certification. I don't feel like I lost anything by doing that, just saved myself the US$250 exam fee, since I was already so close before, I probably wasn't going to fail it again. :)
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 am

eht3real, thanks for posting this.  I know that I would have never even thought to call EC council had I been in your situation.  I am sure quite a few people would be in the same boat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jason

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 am

eth3real wrote:They reviewed my case, and let me appeal the results and gave me the certification

Very interesting. Did they comment on that at all? I'd be curious as to what made them change their (collective) mind. Maybe BillV can comment...
<<

former33t

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 am

Yeah, that is interesting.  I've never heard of them doing that before.  Please let us know if they shared any of their rationale.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:14 am

Indeed. As you have learned for it anyway it's not a big problem I guess..good for you to save the money. ;)
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:31 pm

jason wrote:
eth3real wrote:They reviewed my case, and let me appeal the results and gave me the certification

Very interesting. Did they comment on that at all? I'd be curious as to what made them change their (collective) mind. Maybe BillV can comment...

Nope, I'm just as surprised... that's the first I've heard of that.
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker