My company is out $899, now what?

<<

unsupported

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:20 pm

My company is out $899, now what?

Ok, my company just bought me the GCIH certification attempt.  I got the receipt via email.  I read something about not scheduling the test until I have a certification attempt in my SANS Portal.  I had to summarize my experience and certifications when submitting the payment.  Does this mean someone has to review my information before allowing me to take the test?  Also, will the two practice tests show up in the SANS portal? EDIT:  Ok, it just showed up. :)  I'm a little anxious about this, can't you tell?

Last, but not least.  I was reviewing some of the SANS self study options, it says there is an MP3 lecture and a book.  Is the book a magical mystical SANS top secret documentation?  Or is it just a copy of Counter Hack: Reloaded?  I have CH:R, but wanted to know what else was out there to prepare for the test.

Inquiring minds want to know.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

ants

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: My company is out $899, now what?

Hi unsupported,

I haven't done the GCIH, so I can't answer your questions directly. However, I have done two other exams and I found the people at the exam-support email address very helpful. Try contacting them - they are normally fairly quick to reply. HTH.
CEH, GPEN, GCFW
<<

Jhaddix

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm

unsupported wrote:Ok, my company just bought me the GCIH certification attempt.  I got the receipt via email.  I read something about not scheduling the test until I have a certification attempt in my SANS Portal.  I had to summarize my experience and certifications when submitting the payment.  Does this mean someone has to review my information before allowing me to take the test?  Also, will the two practice tests show up in the SANS portal? EDIT:  Ok, it just showed up. :)  I'm a little anxious about this, can't you tell?

Last, but not least.  I was reviewing some of the SANS self study options, it says there is an MP3 lecture and a book.  Is the book a magical mystical SANS top secret documentation?  Or is it just a copy of Counter Hack: Reloaded?  I have CH:R, but wanted to know what else was out there to prepare for the test.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey Unsupported,

The GCIH books are def in existence, they are not a copy of counterhack.

If you purchased the cert attempt only (for $899) then you should only get the two practice tests and a real exam to take at a testing center.

If you purchased the self study kit (the package costing around $2,795) they mail you the course books and you get the mp3 and any VMs for the course.

If you Purchased the OnDemand ($3,194)you get the annotated slide decks, mp3s, and the notes section to the left of the slides is the detailed text that is contained in the workbooks. Plus you get to email a mentor i think too for questions.

If you are missing materials that you are entitled to email SANS, they are good people and will ship you whatever they goofed on.
<<

unsupported

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:21 am

Thanks Jhaddix.  You've definitely earned those CBT nuggets. :)
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP

Return to GCIH - GIAC Certified Incident Handler