Torrents Safe?

<<

Thegmandrive

Post Thu May 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Torrents Safe?

I have been a long time torrent user. From my understanding using torrents is NOT anonymous. You can see most individuals IP addresses and location on many torrent programs. Doesn't that mean that using torrents is quite a security vulnerability? Maybe I'm off here.. but I wonder why more people aren't caught for Illegally downloading say... Movies?

Any thoughts?
<<

venom77

Post Thu May 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: Torrents Safe?

Nope, not safe.

Typically, they aren't after the people downloading the movies, they're after the people that are uploading the movies (or large amounts of data) - which should be fairly easy for the ISP to pick out.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Thu May 28, 2009 5:09 pm

I'll also second BillV in saying not safe. I'm sure a lot of the ISPs monitor their traffic. A buddy of mine (about a year ago) downloaded a cracked version of Microsoft Office 2007 through a torrent & his ISP contacted his father containing what he downloaded, the exact time, etc. Maybe they're not too worried about movies because you can find movies just about anywhere. I think torrenting a movie is a waste of time though, there's plenty of site's that offer live stream - Just my opinion on this one.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Well I was just using movies as an example :), I agree, I have Netflix and really have no need to download movies.. I was just wondering how SAFE they are, I know there are ways to mask torrent but it seem kinda pointless to me.. Seems like your ISP will know one way or another if your sucking all the bandwidth downloading, whether what your downloading traffic is encrypted or not. Thanks for your replies!

While were on the topic, how do you feel about News Groups?? If so, which do you use... there seems to be a lot out there O)
<<

celord

Post Thu May 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi, here in Costa Rica we have something different, we have an ISP(local), but that "local" ISP doesn't  monitor our traffic, instead the traffic is monitored by who knows...in the US , in fact, a couple of friends have received a notification from those companies forwarded by our local ISP whose role was only to locate the owner of the IP  to send the notification, and in that notification as xXxKrisxXx said, they knew exactly what they have downloaded.
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 pm

I got called by my ISP once telling me if I didn't stop sucking down so much bandwidth they would shut me down... lol Who knew you could max out a fiber optic connection:)

Return to Other