Recommended it-security related magazines wanted

<<

UNIX

Post Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 am

Recommended it-security related magazines wanted

I have wrote some articles for the hakin9-magazine and would now like to expand my experience with this kind before actually going to book-writing. Therefore I wanted to ask if you have any recommendations for good and well-known it-security related magazines where I could write articles for. If it is for the US-area or Europen-area doesn't matter.

I am mainly interested in print magazines and not in online ones as I would like to add all extensive articles I wrote on my CV where i think online ones would not be that good as printed ones may look more professional.

Also I am interested in how to get into the position of an co-author of a book. I already wrote to some publishers (e.g. Syngress) but unfortunately I mostly haven`t received an answer yet.
I would really love to contribute to a few chapters of a book before publishing my own.

Any recommendations and offers are welcome.
<<

jimbob

Post Tue May 26, 2009 5:00 am

Re: Recommended it-security related magazines wanted

I wouldn't write off the online journals so quickly. There's much more scope for writing online and there are a number of well respected online resources which would look great on your CV. There's a site you might have heard of called ethicalhacker.net, I'm sure any good articles you have would find a good home there :-) Also check out the SANS Reading Room, any material published there would get good exposure in the infosec community.

I very much doubt a publisher is the best person to put you in contact with a co-author. It would be better to network with others in the infosec community, establish your area of expertise and find collaborators that way. Contributing a chapter or two rather full co-authorship might be a good start. That said, sending a sample of your work (I reckon at least a full chapter) to a publisher like Syngress might not be a waste of time. Sadly no one is going to take your word for how good you are without some material to back it up.

Keep writing, share your interests with the good peeps here and with a little luck you'll do well.

Jim
<<

UNIX

Post Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 am

Re: Recommended it-security related magazines wanted

Thanks for your thoughts jimbob.
I already asked Don about writing for ethicalhacker.net but it seems that there are already enough writers, so. ;)

I will check the SANS Reading Room, thank you very much for the hint.
In terms of the CV.. how would one write published articles in e.g. SANS Reading Room? Same as with published ones?
So far I wrote something like:
"Title of the article", Magazinname, Date

I think too that it is better for starting to contribute one, two chapters to a book to get more experience at all. I guess I will give Syngress another try and back it up with a few examples of my writing (although I did this already).

Any other recommendations and thoughts are highly appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by UNIX on Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Other