FTP brute force

<<

rebrov

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm

FTP brute force

hey guys excuse me im beginner i read alot of CEH courses till v6 but still not able to do real pen test i tried to connect to my network server via ftp cuz i scanned and found it opened but can't login since it ask for user and password wat is the best tool to crack the FTP password like brute force and where can i get the best password list ?
<<

Otter

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: FTP brute force

rebrov wrote:hey guys excuse me im beginner i read alot of CEH courses till v6 but still not able to do real pen test i tried to connect to my network server via ftp cuz i scanned and found it opened but can't login since it ask for user and password wat is the best tool to crack the FTP password like brute force and where can i get the best password list ?

"best" password list is hard to quantify. 

But, hydra I believe comes with a default one, as does Cain and Abel.  Can start with those. 

If I can dig up my links to others, I'll post.
<<

rebrov

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:31 am

thanks dude but about hydra list ? is it inside the software it self like it make automatic guessing or it has file ?? cuz if it has pass list file i can pick it up to use it ?

and bytheway how can i use the FTP brute force script or code ?

i found it every where but dun know how to use it
<<

Otter

Post Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 am

rebrov wrote:thanks dude but about hydra list ? is it inside the software it self like it make automatic guessing or it has file ?? cuz if it has pass list file i can pick it up to use it ?

and bytheway how can i use the FTP brute force script or code ?

i found it every where but dun know how to use it

Oh my, I've been "dude"-ed.  :-)

This is for testing against boxes you own or have written legal permission to test, right? 

THC-Hydra is the tool.  Read its lengthy README. http://freeworld.thc.org/thc-hydra/

For a password list, turns out my recollection was poor and hydra doesn't seem to come with one.  But such lists aren't hard to find the new fashioned way: 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=password+list+wordlist

For a tutorial:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hydra+tutorial+ftp
<<

rebrov

Post Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 am

haha first sorry for Dude'''ed u :) u seems to like a gurl ???

whatever :) thanks for the tutorial u know alot of things i wanted to know really if its not forbidden here can i add ur email to know something from u online >>

and for legal thing yes its the network owner my friend and im doing tests with his permission :) its alright
<<

Otter

Post Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 am

Good deal.    Happy learning!
<<

eth3real

Post Wed May 20, 2009 9:34 am

My FTP server will ban IP addresses with excessive failed password attempts. Might be something you want to check for.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!

Return to Network Pen Testing