WiFinger AP Fingerprinting Tool

<<

heffnercj

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sun May 10, 2009 12:44 pm

WiFinger AP Fingerprinting Tool

Well, we just got back from ChicagoCon yesterday, and we had a blast! The talks were great, the people were great, and we had a really good time.

For those of you who saw our talk, we released a new tool called WiFinger which performs passive access point fingerprinting. We think that this tool can be extremely useful in wireless security, however, a fingerprinting tool is only as good as the signature database that it has, and while we have a handful of signatures right now, we really need more.

So here's where we'd like to ask the community for some help. Obviously, we can't go out and buy every router / access point out there in order to generate signatures for them (as much as we wish we could!), so we're looking for you guys to help us really improve our tool.

If you have an access point that we don't have a signature for, all you have to do in order to contribute to this project is to send us a packet capture file of the AP's beacon packets. That's it; we'll generate signatures for you from there, and we'll definitely give you credit for the submission.

More detailed submission instructions can be found here: http://www.sourcesec.com/2009/05/10/wif ... s-request/ .
<<

Otter

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: WiFinger AP Fingerprinting Tool

Craig wrote:Well, we just got back from ChicagoCon yesterday, and we had a blast! The talks were great, the people were great, and we had a really good time.

For those of you who saw our talk, we released a new tool called WiFinger which performs passive access point fingerprinting. We think that this tool can be extremely useful in wireless security, however, a fingerprinting tool is only as good as the signature database that it has, and while we have a handful of signatures right now, we really need more.

Great work on this--I enjoyed seeing your talk.  I'll see if I can't grab some signatures for you although I think I only have one very old 802.11b router around that actually has a factory config on it. LOL.
<<

heffnercj

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed May 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks Otter, we had a lot of fun presenting it too. :)

We'd definitely appreciate some capture files of the 802.11b router, and even the ones that you might have that don't have the factory firmware - we want to try to generate signatures for third party stuff too, like DD-WRT and the like.
<<

Jonley17

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Sprint is a simple TCP fingerprinting tool that can be used to remotely identify what operating system a host is running.

Return to Tools