Asus EEE

<<

Ketchup

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:27 am

Asus EEE

So, I am thinking about getting one of the Asus EEE tiny laptops.  I am tired of not being able to open the screen of my huge dell laptop on the plane :)  Does anyone have any recommendations for these units?  I would love to get one that natively supports packet injection as well. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Asus EEE

That's a good question.  I just recently ordered one myself, the Asus EEE PC 1000HE.  I'm planning to toss on the stripped down sub distro of eeebuntu on it and then compile my tools from there.  I've heard some good things thus far, I'm not sure about your question on native packet injection though... I'll let you know this Sat when it arrives.  Well, probably Monday after I'm done tweaking it. :)

I'm pretty stoked though, it is going to be my mobile unit.  My other Asus is a bit too big to lug around, so this will make a great pocket (big pocket) machine.  You can also get 500 gig external usb harddrives pretty cheap (small size too) for your rainbow tables.  I would be interested to see how many others here have similiar little setups.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri May 08, 2009 3:53 pm

I have a 900HA and it runs BT3 pretty well. Supposedly it can run Compiz Fusion perfectly but I haven't gotten it to work. I definitely recommend it!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri May 08, 2009 4:47 pm

I can't wait to get one of these.  My back alone will be eternally grateful.  Also, it will make me very popular with the ladies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun May 10, 2009 8:35 pm

I am typing this on my bran new HP mini 1030NR.  I am loving it so far.  I opted for the HP because it has almost a full size keyboard.  I don't have any problems typing on this one like I did on all others, including Asus, Acer, MSI, etc.  The HP also has a 10" screen which is a bonus.

So far, I have scrapped the XP Home edition that it came with.  I am running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04.  It installed without many issues.  However, sound does not work out of the box.  I am in the process of compiling asla driver 1.0.20.  Ubuntu forums indicate this will fix the sound issues.  Everything else works very well.

I will probably upgrade the RAM to 2GB at some point (it came with 1 GB) but I have seen any performance issues yet.  My next steps are to load the usual tools, Nessus, Metasploit, etc.  I will keep you posted.  So far, I am very happy :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 am

Sweet!  My little Asus 1000HE is due to arrive today.  I've been tracking it on the web sites.... that is an awesome system for someone with slight OCD like myself.  Well.. I say slight, my GF might not agree.  I've been fluxing back and forth on whether i want to do the Ubuntu netbook remix 9.04 or the EEEbuntu fork that is specifically for the little asus machines.  I guess it doesn't matter much.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon May 11, 2009 12:35 pm

I think I am in the same boat with the "slight" OCD, at least that's my wife's professional diagnosis.  I keep reminding her that she is not in medical profession, but it doesn't stop her from diagnosing my problems :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

decrypt_keeper

Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Asus EEEs should be able to perform packet injection as I believe they come equipped with Atheros wireless chipsets, which can be patched with MadWifi drivers to perform packet injection.

Return to Hardware