I've decided to add onto this thread cause I'm still in a sort of confusing position and I'd like some of your guys' opinion / advice on the subject. Alright about last year sometime around now (about 11 months ago) I opened a thread, wanting some advice on possibly what I should try to major in, in college. The thread can be found here:
Here's where I currently am. I decided I'd go to a community college (not the one in town here, but one out of town) and I've been taking some programming classes and I took an Introduction to Information Systems Security class there. I'm currently in my second semester and will be finishing up really soon. I had recently decided to check back with ITT Tech to see if they re-opened up their software development course so I could go into that. Bad news though, they never got it back opened, and unfortunately, the other ITT Tech in my area, doesn't have it either. I was wondering, is software development a declining field? There's not alot of people who signed up for the course over there so I'm wondering, does that work out in the long run, since there's not alot of people wanting to become Software Developers would it eventually be easier for me to find a job in this field? What they're offering at the college I go to right now is a programming certificate but I'm actually wanting to go for a degree. It's not neccessarily that I favor that school, I get it's pretty expensive, but I'm just wanting to go to a school where it's like really hands-on, 70 or 80% of the program of your choice is geared towards those classes, while the other 20% is geared towards your general ed. I'm not trying to take a crap load of general ed for a degree because my academics aren't exactly as high as I want them to be.
Throughout this past year though, my interest in the InfoSec field has grown a little bit more too. I tried to take the Off Sec course last year, but since I was still in high school they didn't think I was old enough to do the course and wanted me to send over a copy of my photo ID, and that's how that conversation ended between the off-sec guys and I. I'd eventually like to go into Penetration Testing but I know it's just not one of those things where you go, "Alright, I have a degree in Information Systems Security, maybe a certification or two, here's my resume...bam you got the job" type of thing. My question I have here is that, I can't exactly expect to go directly into Pen Testing just by holding a degree right? Wouldn't they want you to have some Network Administration experience or something along the lines of that before applying for a job doing that? Even trying to get a job doing it fresh out of college, wouldn't it be next to impossible considering companies are wanting people with 10+ years of experience under their belt? Not that I blame them, it just seems pretty difficult to get the job. I've also noticed, that alot of people are going into this field...you may all notice we get people weekly who come here asking for advice for what they should do to eventually get into doing security for companies, etc. My question is, should I even opt to go into this field or should I stick with programming? I've been coding since I was around 15 and a half, and have always wanted to be a programmer, but I've always wanted to have the job as an Ethical Hacker/Penetration Tester as well. I'm just a little confused on which should I go for at this point. I was thinking I should look into the Information Systems Security course offered by ITT Tech and then if I didn't care for it, drop and then go into programming else where (considering they don't offer it there), but I'm all open to your opinions/advice. My bad if it sounds like I'm ranting in this one...Thanks in advanced.