Personal Website

<<

UNIX

Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:38 am

Personal Website

Hello,

I was lately thinking a lot about creating a personal website where I publish information about myself, e.g. published articles, gained certificates etc.
But I am not very sure about this. First I don't really like the idea to make information about myself available to everyone as for example idendity theft is quite common these days. Also I am not sure if this is something necessary to get recognized by companys and similar. I am not a professional yet but I am very interested in it-security related stuff and maybe such thing would help me somehow.
Mostly I would like something to get recognized by professionals, companys etc. as I also want to get more contacts, get in contact with several individuals, etc..
I am also not very sure if it is necessary to make my real name public in the internet or to work with an alias. There are quite a few people using only nicknames and are well known anyway. I guess that such peoples real names are known in the professional field anyway but maybe working with your real data would look more professional.

I wanted to know about your thoughts on this subject.

Best wishes,
unix
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed May 06, 2009 6:42 am

Re: Personal Website

UNIX,

first off, welcome :)

From the perspective of starting a personal site to advertise yourself and your achievements I know this is something that has been mentioned on EH-Net in the past and something that other members have done.

Personally this was the main push behind me creating my own site, InfoSanity. Whilst I don't publish too much personal info on the site or qualifications I have found that it can be beneficial in getting others in the industry aware of your capabilities and interests. I shared your concern with with regard to sharing too much information, but I feel that as long as you are aware that this is an issue, and are sensible with what you post you should be safe. I'm sure there are lower hanging front for identity theft than to trawl the personal web-sites of security techs. (or I could be naive)

All the best, and let us know how you get on.
<<

jason

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 pm

If you really want to have people take you seriously as a security professional, there's only so long you can hide behind a handle like L33TH@X0r. I try to limit the personal info that I put up on my site, but you have to choose one way or the other ultimately.
<<

UNIX

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 am

RoleReversal wrote:UNIX,

first off, welcome :)

[...]

Thanks.

Personally this was the main push behind me creating my own site, InfoSanity. Whilst I don't publish too much personal info on the site or qualifications I have found that it can be beneficial in getting others in the industry aware of your capabilities and interests.

Why not? Are certifications, publications etc. are not some sort of someone's qualifications?

All the best, and let us know how you get on.

I am still not sure yet. ;)

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, jason. You mean when only working with a pseudonick people would be treated more seriously?

Another thing I am thinking about, is, if a forum or board would be appreciated by the audience too. I like some blogs but too often people only care about them when they start blogging and do no more updates as time come. A forum has some advantages I think but I am not sure if this is something a personal site should have.

I also thought about a section where I test various software in an extensive way and publish my results and recommendations. Would such things be of concern or a 'waste' of time because such things already exists widely?
Last edited by UNIX on Tue May 12, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:28 am

Just wanted to let you know that I decided to create a website. Although not much content yet, it can be found at www.awesec.com

Feedback would be much appreciated.
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:32 am

Good site! I especially like the logo and your hardware keylogging review. Another way to get your name about would be to contribute to open source projects and join twitter.
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 am

Awsec, looks like your off to a good start.
Keep up the good work.
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks for your opinions ethicalhack3r and dalepearson. :)

I know it's not much yet but I am working on it. Also I aim to give more quality stuff rather than quantity so I take the time i need as I am not in a "rush" anyway.

I am currently working on two other reviews (another hardware keylogger and the ironkey mentioned in another thread) which will be finished in the next weeks when I have tested the devices in detail.
The articles I have written so far will also be supplied soon, although I think they will not be very interesting for people at EH as they are in German language.

In terms of twitter - that's really something I personaly don't like. Maybe I will in future join something like xing, linkedin etc. but not soon I guess.
In terms of an open source project - I already thought about that too, but not sure yet. Time will tell.

Again, thanks for your feedback it is really much appreciated.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 am

Awesec, looks like a good site.

Although I'm concerned it's close to one (awwesecurity.com/co.uk) I've been holding onto for a rainy day. Looks like you've beat me to the punch. :)

keep up the hard work
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 am

Aw, sorry ;)

It took me really some time to find a nice domainname to come up with as it should fulfill some criteria and really many domains are already taken by someone.

Glad you like it though. :)

Return to Other