Help with security Clearance forms

<<

Birdcr

Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 am

Help with security Clearance forms

Hi There i have recently landed a new job for a UK security company, for this role i have to pass both CTC and SC and i am currently filling in the forms. I have been registered for voting at parents house all throughout university although i was living in rented accom, so should i put down my university accomodation or just leave it as my home address??

its the kinda thing i dont wanna mess up really or i get Axed haha
<<

timmedin

Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Re: Help with security Clearance forms

If it was a dormatory, I'd use my home address. If I was in an a apartment or flat, then I would use the rental address.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

Birdcr

Post Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 am

I also have a caution for possession of a controlled substance class A, does this mean i will fail any SC clearance?
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:45 am

I guess it depends on the discretion on who is auditing you. Not sure if this info is used to profile you and the more "negative" points you have the less you are considered for the the position.
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm

My experience with background checks would suggest that the more honest you are the more likely you are to be granted a clearance. I would be honest about where you liked. I live at where ever while at the university. I was also coutioned for possession. The thought process is that if they have to dig for information that you could easily have given, they may think you were trying to hide something and denie you your clearance. Just a thought though. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

Birdcr

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks all, hopefully i should be alright although if i get the boot im gonna think about going to boot camp for CCNA + CCNP and going out contracting, koenig training camp any good??
<<

eRiCtHyReD

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:11 am

CCNA bootcamps might really help you if you have some basic networking skillz.

CCNP bootcamp I would only recommend them if you have already a good experience in routing/switching. 2-3 years might be enough.

Good luck :-)
CEH MCSE CCNA  Security+ Network+ A+
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:12 pm

I have been SC cleared for a few years, in my experience as already stated honesty is the best policy.
I have never had any issues, but I have noticed the time taken for review can depend on the sponsoring government agency,

All the best, you shouldnt have to wait to long to hear back, DV however takes an age.
<<

Birdcr

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

5 weeks later and my security clearance has come throught (very suprised and over the moon) so the job is now perm, i have just passed the MCDST (microsoft certified desktop suport tech) certifications. and after a few weeks in a security role feel a more technical network support role may suit me better that a security role i originally aimed for.

<havent been around for a while but though i would keep this post updated :P>

think next on the card is the MCSA as every job seems to require microsoft experience over Cisco (unfortunatly)
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Glad its all worked out for you mate.
Also good to hear your starting to understand your career path, all the best with what ever avenue you look to follow.
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 am

Good luck for your future and nice you did it.
I also experienced that a combination of Microsoft and Cisco certificates is good to have.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 am

Nice one :D glad you got through it.

Good luck in the future, whichever direction you head in.

Return to General Certification