Microsoft release "secure" XP to the government

<<

Ketchup

Post Fri May 01, 2009 5:38 pm

Microsoft release "secure" XP to the government

It’s the most secure distribution version of Windows XP ever produced by Microsoft: More than 600 settings are locked down tight, and critical security patches can be installed in an average of 72 hours instead of 57 days.  The only problem is, you have to join the Air Force to get it.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/04/air-force-windows/

How can they call it secure if they can't remove Internet Explorer from it?  How long before a torrent of a copy pops up?  How long before someone pwns it?

I am wondering if they will release a template at some point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

venom77

Post Fri May 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Microsoft release "secure" XP to the government

Hmm...

From the sounds of the article, I don't think there's anything really special about it. It just comes pre-configured as being locked down to DoD standards. Stuff you can do on your own if you really want to - just takes a little bit of time.
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat May 02, 2009 3:52 am

I thought that too, that it's just a few templates they applied to it.  Yet, whenever I deal with PSS, I learn something new.  They have access to so many undocumented registry entries and such, it's ridiculous.  But I agree, I don't think that the kernel is going to be any different for example.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Fri May 08, 2009 12:01 am

Well, i think it is a good thing. Maybe not really necessary for someone who is doing computerstuff on a regular basis and interested in it-sec but for people who are not very familiar with computers it may reduce the possibility of getting hacked.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 am

If you are looking for what they used to lock it down, look at teh DISA web site. You are looking for the STIGs. If you don't start from the get go with the STIGs you are in for a long haul trying to meet them.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:40 am

Further from that, download the public version of Gold Disk and run that on a fresh 2003 install. You'll see all sorts of fun registry edits :-\
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 am

And if you are on a .mil domain, you can get the full version. I just recomend against letting it do the remediation. If you let it at it, you will have a "secure version" of XP that you can't use. But you are right on there Bill, it does come up with some registry edits.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Mon May 11, 2009 8:02 am

LOL! Yeah, forgot about that. I was going to add that and got sidetracked while posting. Definitely do not click that 'remediate all' or whatever it's called button.

Funny story on that.. a guy I was on a project with had hardened his server down and had only a few findings left. He wasn't quite sure about fixing them and had asked for help from one of the security "experts." While they're on the phone talking about it the expert pressed that button and his response was "oops." Yeah.. the server had to be completely rebuilt (didn't have a backup at the time and they couldn't figure out how to get it operational again). Luckily, it wasn't in production yet and didn't have any "real" data.. just a staged application.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 am

Yup, That'll ruin your day ;)
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH

Return to News from the Outside World