Dont know whether goingon right direction

<<

studs

Post Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 am

Dont know whether goingon right direction

Hello All

I have recently done with my CCSP certification. i was planning to jump towards firewall analyst or network security but due to recession i stuck. now i am working as a network administrator . looking Sonicwalls , VPNs , also working on  server 2008 NAP deployment. but i am not happy with the job bcoz no cisco here.

i did CEH v5 Cisco Fundamentals of wireless LAN . i love to do CCIE(sec) but some friends says its very much difficult as jeremy ciora(instructor) did after third attempt. i am 26 . please tell me whether to go for do i start CISA or Linux or remain on Same direction which is CCIE(sec). I am very much confused.

Looking forward for your response.
CEH, CCSP, CCNA, CWLANF(Cisco Wireless LAN Fundamental)
<<

timmedin

Post Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 am

Re: Dont know whether goingon right direction

SANS (sans.org) has a lot of good security training. The classes I have taken are top notch and they have classes for almost all aspects of seucrity. Check it out with the link here. It will take you to the site.

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ck/bid,65/
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

studs

Post Sun May 10, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks Timmidin

But my question is still their i need suggestion. i have done CCSP but working as a network administrator. tell me can i go for CISA or keep going where i am means look forward for CCIE(Sec) . need guide line .

Best Regards
CEH, CCSP, CCNA, CWLANF(Cisco Wireless LAN Fundamental)
<<

timmedin

Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:47 am

Which do you like more, the security side or the networking side?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 am

I'm no CCIE, but I can agree with timmedin...  I can tell you if you focus on security, and don't really buckle down, based on what I've heard of the CCIE exams, you WON'T get through them in one piece.  If your heart's set on CCIE, then I'd focus on the networking side.  If you TRULY like security (and more than just Cisco security) then I'd definitely lean towards the CISA and other security-related study. 

It's very difficult, at least for me, to even consider finding time, these days, to try to focus on multiple disciplines.  While no CCIE, I thankfully was brought up in the networking world first, and have a good grasp on it.  It does help with security, to have the background.  Does it require CCIE or similar expertise...?  No.

If you have questions with regard to time required to study for said certifications and training, or what materials and experiences you might want to gain for an individual topic, there are many people here to help guide you.  However, we can only guide you in decisions based on your goals, and if you don't have those figured out, clearly, yet, then that's all we can do, is to support you and give you knowledge towards you making your own decision(s).

So look at what you REALLY want to do, factor in your current employment / study status, and make a clear decision about what YOU want to do.  If that means a career change to accommodate, or a shift in philosopies, scheduling, etc, than those are areas you'll have to weigh in for your decision.  Unfortunately, we'd all be in the wrong, if we told you to go one way or the other, as your heartfelt feelings and goals are not something we can truly know.  All we can tell you is the paths we've chosen, whether or not we're happy in our paths, and how those paths have benefitted us / our jobs / etc.  In my case, I stayed security, and I LOVE it!

HTH.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

former33t

Post Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 pm

I was thinking about my CCIE about two years ago (R&S).  I had one of those parted together ebay labs and everything.  Got into some Linux development and security work and never looked back.  I know a couple of CCIE's but they are REALLY pigeonholed when it comes to jobs.  Do what you think is best, but if you're really asking for advice, I'd suggest the security route.  Better flexibility in your job and less study for the certs (not knocking CISA, just know how much work CCIE is).
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk

Return to Career Central