Windows 7 RC Released Today

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Windows 7 RC Released Today

Windows 7 RC was released today to TechNet subscribers. This usually means that the general public is right around the corner. The quote below is from a letter emailed to all MS Partners today.

Dear Microsoft U.S. Partner,

We hope you are as excited as we are about today’s milestone, as we make the Microsoft Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) broadly available for download to managed Beta program participants, including MSDN and TechNet subscribers. If you are not among those who participated in one of the managed Beta programs, you only have to wait until Tuesday, May 5, when the RC will be available through the Customer Preview Program.

In this bulletin, you will find important links and answers to questions that are always top of mind for partners and customers in a release like this. Please look for our regular U.S. partner newsletter on Monday, May 4, with more details and resources for Microsoft partners, including training recommendations.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft U.S. Partner Team

Happy testing,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri May 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Windows 7 RC Released Today

Also found out something interesting. MS is allowing the RC to be used for free for 13 months as June 1, 2010 is the expiration date. One could take this many ways. It is either a way to extend the RC time frame and push back the final release. I don't think that is the case as MS stated in the same statement in releasing Windows 7 RC that a final release is usually around 3 - 6 months afterwards.

The other thought is that if everyone has access to the RC and can use it for over a year, isn't that like getting your first hit free? Then you're hooked.  :o

For mroe info on this:
http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/micr ... months-838

Don
<<

jason

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Yup. One more way to avoid the vista flop this go around.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:44 am

I like what I have seen of Win 7 so far. The code for the RC is even more refinded than with the beta and it runs smokin'  compaired to eith XP or Vista: At least according to my stop watch during boot up. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

jason

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:44 pm

I agree. It definitely seems zippier than vista. They also seem to have fixed several of the interface annoyances.
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 am

Has anyone tested any of the security tools on it yet?  I am wondering how nmap will perform, whether or not you can change your MAC address, etc.  I had some issues with Vista, and it only lasted about a week on my laptop.    Microsoft seems to like to "disable" hackers by crippling their own OS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:38 am

I have not though that is a great idea. I may have to make a trip to the lab and see what happens.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 am

I was just installing Cain & Abel 4.9.30 and got a couple of interesting errors. Teh first was NPPTool.dll is missing. (Time for some Google). And the WinPCap beta included does not support Win 7 yet. Other than that, so far so good. I'll let you know.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 am

Ok fixed the npptools error. I went and copied the file form my xp install in C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 (it can also be found in the system32 folder) and placed it in the Windows directory of my win 7 install. Next Cain needs to run as Admin. So right click and run as administrator. Worked like a charm.
Last edited by sgt_mjc on Tue May 12, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

jgohil

Post Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 am

In fact Microsoft are running a beta exam for Windows 7 that runs till 18th May.

The beta exam 71.680 - Windows 7 Configuration counts towards a MCTS Windows 7 Configuration certification and will also count towards MCIT Pro level as well.

http://blogs.technet.com/betaexams/arch ... uring.aspx
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu May 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Good post. Also, MS has announced that this will be available this year before the holidays.

Don
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu May 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Oo.  Scratch the wii off my list.  I want Windows 7 :D  What are the odds of them actually meeting that release date?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jason

Post Tue May 19, 2009 5:57 pm

Pretty good, I think. The vista flop has stung them and they're really pushing to get 7 out in a hurry. Of course this is also hurting them more because no one who knows any better wants to buy vista at all with 7 right around the corner.

Return to Other