Gray Hat Python

<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 am

Gray Hat Python

New book, Gray Hat Python just released, if blurb is anything to go by should be a good addition to the library.

Hoping to get a copy soon so I'll try to let you all know if it lives up to billing.

Word of warning to other UKians; I haven't don't the maths completely, but it may be cheaper to order from Amazon.com and pay international shipping than to purchase through *.co.uk. Wonders of international commerce.
<<

NickFnord

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Gray Hat Python

That actually looks really good - I found python very easy to pick up, but then hit the wall of having to search for an hour or more for every 2 minutes of code I wanted to write. was thinking of buying a python manual anyway so this looks like it could be the one to get. 

I'll be very interested in knowing your thoughts on it.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:25 am

Cool. I came across this one about two months ago looking for something else and have been waiting for it. Sounds like it should be pretty good. I almost forgot all about it. Thanks for the update RR!
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:06 am

Looks like a USAian may have to beat me to a review. Not released in UK for another week :( (according to Waterstones.com, amazon.co.uk lists as unavailable)

At least it pushes it back until after payday...
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:46 am

No Starch is sending me copies for giveaways at ChicagoCon and for review purposes. Once I get this assigned, we should have a review in time for summer reading lists.  :)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

timmedin

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 am

Sweet! I am going to have to order this! Don, do you have a link so we can get any affialiate $$ to EH.net through amazon or someone else?
Last edited by timmedin on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks for asking as even that little bit for each book helps support the site. You can click Gray Hat Python or everyone can use the search field in the right column under the poll.

Much appreciated,
Don
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Wow, looks like a very interesting book, just ordered my copy today :). Happy to support EH.

Peace
<<

jmseitz

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Hey guys!

I hope my book serves you all well, and let me know what you think of it. If you have any questions on anything don't hesitate to drop me a note!  I am happy to see so many decide to come to the Python-dark side :)

JS
<<

venom77

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:31 am

Hey there JS! Welcome to the site :)

We're all looking forward to checking it out ;D Thank you!

BillV
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:59 am

Yes, welcome JS!

Looking forward to reading this one.  I've dabbled a 'little' in Python, but have previously spent more time in Ruby and C.  I really want a better feel for it, as I have some things I'd like to port over, and use with some of the premium tools, like Canvas and Core.

Anxiously awaiting my copy in the mail!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 am

Hey JS,

Welcome to EH-Net, and hopefully this isn't just a single stop for you. Would love to have you as a regular.  8)

FYI to all - I have thrown this review to Ryan Linn.

Looking forward,
Don
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 am

JS, welcome.

I've used python for the last few months and have been looking for something 'useful' to stick my teeth into, so I'm looking forward to getting a copy of the book.

Don/Ryan, looking forward to the review, hope you don't make me wait too long ;)....
<<

jmseitz

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:28 am

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the kind words, I hope I don't let you down! The cool thing with Python (over a LOT of other languages) is that it is very easy to perform powerful tasks without a lot of low-level madness.

The other cool thing is that some of the best tools are written in Python, including commercial tools like CANVAS, so having some Python experience can be useful if you ever want to extend those tools or build your own modules.

I have left my email address available on my profile, you guys are all welcome to email me whenever you please! I try to keep up with forums, mailing lists, etc. as best I can, so if you post a question and I am not getting back to you, fire me an email :) Thanks again guys, I hope you enjoy it!
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Does any one know if the book is written for python 2.5 or 3? And are the examples just windows examples or are their linux ones too?
Next

Return to Programming