It's difficult trying to get certified, but just to share my story how I did it. I attended the CEH v5 back in March 2007 and been procrastinating until only trying out the exam in March 2009 since it's going to be retired in June 2009, since I got the free voucher, why not go for it? I only prepare for the exam in Jan 2009.
so I have the offical courseware v5 which is totally heavy (it's all information and their photos or print-screen is not really that good!). so I ignored the official courseware books.
I brought the following:
1) CEH Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide - Kimberly Graves
2) Exam Prep : Certified Ethical Hacker - Michael Gregg
3) The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking by Ronald L. Krutz and Russell Dean Vines
Of all the books,
1) is very summarized, but it's good to have it.
2) is very detailed and hands on.
3) is very detailed and theory based.
In addition, you need to do a lot of the sample questions from all 3 of the books that comes with their own cd-roms.
The only one that comes closed to the exam is Pass4sure exam. Do this over and over, you'll get thru. In fact, my first attempt in the exam was 69%. I retook the exam after 2 weeks, and scored 94%.
I'm now looking for ECSA/LPT. and currently working on my CISSP (again).