Intellectual Inquiry on Conficker.C

<<

Blindeyed

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:46 am

Intellectual Inquiry on Conficker.C

Hi, i wanted to do a Intellectual Inquiry and ask if any of you have an idea of what kind of person the Author of Conficker may be. Anyone tried an analyst of the conflicker worm themselves?  I am willing to admit I am NOT a hacker but rather a person who does enjoy Information gathering and processing. A social engineer if you want to say that.

PS. I am not after Massivesofts 250k bounty on this person. I'm simply someone who enjoys a cup of tea and a good intellectual conversation
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:48 am

Re: Intellectual Inquiry on Conficker.C

Could the author of Conficker be the sort of person that pops up on a forum and asks for other's opinion of said author? You've got my paranoid streak working ;)

Interesting question, welcome to the community

[P.S. and from 'cup of tea' I'd guess English?...]
<<

Blindeyed

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 am

RoleReversal wrote:Could the author of Conficker be the sort of person that pops up on a forum and asks for other's opinion of said author? You've got my paranoid streak working ;)

Interesting question, welcome to the community

[P.S. and from 'cup of tea' I'd guess English?...]

Actually No, I have little to no programming skills. Last time i actually dealed with a basic form of programming was back when HTML was done on notepad and dealing with DOS command prompt.

Anyways, i gathered this much from my understanding of this whole Conficker worm scare about the person

- Seems to be a showboating hacker (given that the thing was set to go off on April 1, 2009 and didn't actually connect with any master computer)

- Used a specific security hole that was in a sense his/her calling card.

- The worm has major evolutionary changes done in new strains.

- Is exceptionally skilled based on how it spreads and secures itself into a system.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:19 am

Blindeyed wrote:Actually No

That's a shame, I could do with $250k :D

Afraid social and psychology aren't my field, I've got no real idea on my thoughts for motive etc. but personally I've got the feeling that this is a (large) collection of authors rather than he usual solo/small team efforts I would normally associate with malcode authors.

I keep wondering if the author(s) have gained more notoriety than expected and are going for the ostrich approach. But then new versions keep popping up...

I'm with the rest of the industry, looking forward to finding out.
<<

Blindeyed

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:39 am

RoleReversal wrote: personally I've got the feeling that this is a (large) collection of authors rather than he usual solo/small team efforts I would normally associate with malcode authors.

I keep wondering if the author(s) have gained more notoriety than expected and are going for the ostrich approach. But then new versions keep popping up...

I'm with the rest of the industry, looking forward to finding out.

I don't mean to prod but usually when its a large collection of authors its usually means that theres a overall group motive such as information theft. I mean it is plausable considering that the strains are done so quickly but at the same time for a large group to have done this thing and not get any kind of valuable information from the infected pcs it seems inconsistent with the programming of the worm. of course the whole April 1, 2009 dud seemed like  a classic act of showboating. I mean honestly, this thing was designed for massive information gathering and yet of all the days to go online April 1,2009 was picked. Major computer security companies that make anti-viral software were shaken then all of a sudden nothing. No boom. I mean to me it just seems like a facade. As you said new versions are continually popping up and yet they still can't find this or these authors.

Return to Forensics