Question about hard drive duplication and Windows Xp

<<

entronp

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:21 am

Question about hard drive duplication and Windows Xp

Not sure of the best place to post this but I hope someone can help me. If you have Xp on a drive and you install that drive into a dif computer there results in a blue screen error. My question is if there is a hack to make Xp able to be cloned onto drives meant for dif computers and avoid that error screen? The purpose is for a Corporate environment where a single clone of Xp (or Vista) can be put onto any drive for any type of computer. Our company has at least 30 dif types and brands of systems but the same version of Xp etc has to be put on them and I am looking for an easier way. Thanks for any advice.
<<

former33t

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:28 am

Re: Question about hard drive duplication and Windows Xp

Welcome. 

This probably isn't the best forum to post this, but I'll dig some oldies but goodies out of the MCSE bag and answer anyway.  Cloning the drive is VERY prone to failure with different hardware models.  What you really need is to set up RIS on your domain controller to describe your baseline image.  If you don't have a domain controller, configuration control isn't the biggest problem in your network....

Configure your client machines to boot from the network first (or use a RIS boot CD) and have them load on next boot.  I'd then put SMS and WSUS servers on the network to help with software and patch management respectively. 

One note: if you are reloading existing user machines, make VERY sure you get all the user data off the machine even if you THINK the data is writing back to the profile server.  I'd really suggest getting a couple of spare machines to rotate out with the user for a couple of days for them to verify they have everything.  Losing some critical company data that was residing on the local machine and not being backed up anyway is still seen as a "career limiting move".

RIS reference:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 6442(WS.10).aspx
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Well,  you have to use SYSPREP to make Windows run a mini-setup.  You have likely cloned a box with different hardware, especially the hard disk controller.  SYSPREP will force hardware detection during the next boot.  It also makes the source machine run through the same.  Without running SYSPREP, you also have the issue of duplicate machine SIDs on the network.  The following link should help you with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

And I agree with former33t, RIS is great if you are deploying a ton of machines.  It takes some time to prep everything though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

entronp

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for both replies.

I like the sound of the SYSPREP but I am a bit new to it and got a bit confused reading MS's instructions. If it isnt too much, could you give a brief step-by-step SYSPREP FOR DUMMIES lesson if its something you could make simplier for me? Thanks!
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:02 am

It has been a while for me since I have done this, but here is SYSPREP in a nutshell:

1. Your core a machine, install your software, do all your customizations, etc.  Don't worry about configuring user profile settings because they will be wiped out.

2.  Obtain the Deploy.cab file from your Windows disk in the \Support\Tools folder.  Use the same version of Deploy.cab as your Service Pack level.

3.  Extract the data from the Deploy.cab somewhere on your hard drive and run the sysprep.exe file from  your drive.

4.  Basically follow the wizard and allow it prep your system in order for it to be cloned. 

5.  Once the wizard finishes, shut down, do not restart,  your machine.  Remove the drive and clone it as many times as you need.

6.  Once you have cloned the drive and boot the cloned machine, it will go through a mini setup, detecting hardware and configuring profiles. 

That's really it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

entronp

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Ok, here is an update. I installed a new Xp on a laptop then did as you advised and then cloned the drive and tried it on a completely dif laptop but it failed to work. When I ran sysprep I tried all the options...first audit boot, then factory, I also checked various options such as mini setup, pre-activated, PNP, nosidgen...no combination worked for me.

Should I be running this in DOS or is it ok just to run the exe in windows?
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 am

You definitely run the EXE in Windows.  Perhaps there something else going on here.  What are the exact numbers you get on the BSOD screen?  They would follow this model:  0x00000008 (0x0000002a, 0x00000044, 0x0000001a, 0x00000020).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

entronp

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Actually on the cloned machine it just has a blinking cursor. It's a Dell and I've seen that before when you have a non-compatible OS on the drive. Maybe I'll try it in another machine and see what numbers appear.
<<

entronp

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:22 am

Ok, well I finally got it to work. For some reason it wouldn't work on this one Dell I was using but I tried a dif one and it worked just fine. Master drive made by a Toshiba but cloned and worked on a Dell which is almost unheard of under normal circumstances. Hopefully this will work more than not so getting various systems up and running will be simpler. Thanks for your help!
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am

Glad it worked out.  I used to use sysprep and drive clones all the time with various Ghost-type software for image deployment.  It has been a while since I have anything like that though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:38 am

It sounds like you only needed this one time, but thought I'd throw this out there anyway.

A great utility I have used is Backup Exec System Recovery. It has the ability to clone drives as well as take full images and enable 'hardware anywhere' recovery allowing you to restore that image to a different system.

I have used it quite a bit and not yet run into any issues. It works pretty quickly too.

BillV
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 am

If it's a one time clone and not an image for an entire enterprise, then try cloning the drive, stick it into the new machine, then do a Repair with the XP CD. This forces all hardware to be reinstalled without removing any data.

I've done this in a pinch, and it works.

Hope it helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to Other