Home Media/Control System

<<

venom77

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:22 am

Home Media/Control System

Does anyone have experience with home media servers (music/movies) or control systems (for appliances/security cameras, etc.)?

Any products out there you'd recommend for any of the components having to do with either?

I've been looking into it (slowly) and I definitely would like to start putting movies into some sort of computer storage, but I also want something that'll be able to expand with home control/security as well.

I've got a PS3, but I'm not sure if it's useful to stream to that or to just get a stand-alone system. The software media servers that I've tried so far haven't really worked. The best one I found was the PS3 Media Server which would play music (after loading for 1-2 minutes), but all of them had the same problem with video - load for several minutes, play a few seconds, freeze, play a few more seconds, freeze, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

BillV
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:47 am

Re: Home Media/Control System

My 360 works fairly well with my Vista and Sever 2008 systems. They all see each other adn the 360 acts as a media center extender. I haven't tried streeming too much yet as I'm waiting to get a router that has duel band capability so that I can take advantage of the 5 GHz band for streaming to the 360. I'll let you know when and if I ever get that working right.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:23 am

For appliance controls and security sensors (not video, unless they have a really good high-end one I haven't seen, because quality on their lower end cameras stinks) the X10 stuff has always been reliable for me.  I know there are much higher-end ones, but if you're talking for home, the X10 stuff has worked well for me.

Additionally, misterhouse.com has a nice portal / webpage setup you can download and run, that lets you schedule events and such for X10 as well as other automation equipment, and it's been fun to tinker with, over time.  Bruce (the guy who runs it) and I have chatted quite a few times in the past, about his stuff, and he's always open to suggestions and programming help to better it, too.

Again, this isn't 'high end' stuff, but it's worked reliably, for me, anyway.  Just don't rely on their low-end surveillance cameras, and if you buy their higher-end ones, let me know if they're any good.

Cheers!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I'm not looking for something super high-end, just for simple home use. And the X10 stuff has crossed my mind a few times.

Here's what I think I'm going to go with for the moment (at least for my media portion until I figure out the security/home control piece)...

WD HD TV Media Player
Drobo for storage

Anyone used either of these?
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:10 pm

A few of my buddies have the Drobo's, and like them.  Neither of them are 'highly tech savvy,' either, so I'd assume they aren't too difficult to drop in and use.  I don't have personal experience with either of those products, though.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

AngelReign

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:15 am

Home automation, business, classroom and campus solutions. ... ST-XX, SW-DMT (Digital Media Tools), SW-GLD (Crestron Green Light ® Designer) .... Touchpanels for Home Automation, Commercial Control Systems and Classroom Solutions...

by: IP PBX

Return to Other