Internet Explorer 8 "Critical" Flaw in Final Version

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 am

Internet Explorer 8 "Critical" Flaw in Final Version

The Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) vulnerability demonstrated last week at the CanSecWest hacker conference In the beta version of the popular web browser also exists in the final version.

Microsoft confirmed that the vulnerability exists in the official release, said Terri Forslof, a researcher at TippingPoint, which sponsored the Pwn2Own contest that challenged competitors to find bugs in either web browsers or mobile devices.

No details of the IE8 exploit -- discovered Wednesday by the hacker "Nils" -- are available, but it could represent a major problem, Forslof said.

“This is a single-click-and-you're-owned exploit,” she told SCMagazineUS.com on Tuesday. “You click a link in an email or simply browse to a website, and your machine is compromised. This meets Microsoft's ‘critical' bar [in its vulnerabilities and rating system].”

The exploit was demonstrated the day before the final version of IE8 was released on Thursday.

“Once the browser was compromised, we handed over the exploit to Microsoft immediately, on site," Forslof said. "They went back and reproduced it and called to verify that the vulnerability was present. We retested again on the released version of IE8 that went live on the following morning and verified that the vulnerability was in it as well.”

The exploit apparently defies Microsoft's DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) technologies -- two features added to IE8 to prevent memory corruption vulnerabilities.

For its part, Microsoft said in a Monday blog post: “The final release of Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista blocks the .NET DEP+ASLR bypass mechanism from malicious websites on the internet. But this post may have been more specifically referring to different bypass mechanisms that were demonstrated by a pair of researchers at last year's Black Hat conference in Las Vegas.

In addition, the Microsoft post only mentions Vista. The CanSecWest exploit was demonstrated using a beta version of Windows 7, which may call the issue into question.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said she was unable to immediately provide a comment.

Original story:
http://www.scmagazineus.com/Internet-Ex ... le/129407/

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Internet Explorer 8 "Critical" Flaw in Final Version

No mention of IE8 on xp either. Interesting....
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

jason

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Might be more accurate to say that IE8 *is* a critical flaw, rather than has a critical flaw.  :(
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 am

You may have that right jason, though it seems Firefox also has its problems right now.....
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:42 am

Seems like Chrome is the best bet at the moment, however, on a side note, I am totally shocked that Google didn't produce a Linux version.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:14 am

I agree with don.  While they say chrome for linux will be in the works, it's a shame they didn't put more effort into releasing it, earlier.  They're pretty active in open source, and I'm sure they could've done more along the linux line, sooner.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

former33t

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm not sure whether to take up the chrome issue or the IE 8 issue first.  Firefox patched quickly enough that I'm not particularly worried.  I'm always more concerned with an IE bug than a Firefox bug since IE is so tightly wrapped into the OS.  Maybe this is naive of me, but I just think there's so much more potential for harm with an IE bug.

The fact that a couple of hackers in a competition setting can come up with a critical IE bug this quickly tells me MS doesn't have the right people on their staff (or just don't care).  Of course this brings us back to a post a couple of weeks ago about whether or not vendors should be expected to pay for exploit discovery (my feeling is yes).

As for google not having Chrome ready for Linux, this just seems hypocritical considering their sponsorship of all these open source projects.  Just doesn't make sense to me, you'd think they'd want to embrace the Linux community.  What a turn off.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

jason

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:21 pm

You can get chrome running on linux under wine, and I think I saw something about someone getting it to run from the source code that's out there for it. Linux support non-withstanding, I have two major gripes that keep me from using it. First is the lack of support for plugins. There are several plugins for firefox that I depend fairly heavily on, but I would say that the biggest one is noscript. Secondly, this is google that we're talking about, and I just have to think that my every move in chrome is being logged somewhere for later analysis.

Return to Malware