CCNA Opinions

<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:49 pm

CCNA Opinions

Guyz,
Having obtained the the CEH and OSCP would it make sense to pursue the CCNA as a means of solidifying networking principles?

What are your thoughts on this?
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

Jhaddix

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:15 am

Re: CCNA Opinions

Hey Dark!

Just my 2c but i don't think Cisco certs will ever be replaced.

Even after seeing countless professionals with GIAC, OSCP, etc certs, they don't solidify a well rounded security professional alone. You have to know thy system as it were, and CCNA will give a good well rounded feeling of that.

Like i said though, my 2c
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 am

Im currently doing my CCNA through university and will probs take my written exam in the next few months.

It works through the different OSI model layers, mainly focusing on layers 1 to 4 and the protocols associated with them.

I did my practical test last month which was worth %30 of my overall mark, I got %100 as it was just building and testing an ethernet cable which is quite straight forward.

Im doing it through university for free but I would have probs wanted it if university hadnt of provided it.
<<

timmedin

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:51 am

I came up through networking so it helped me a bunch. Now working on the security side it helps when assessing network devices. I would say it wouldn't hurt, but it depends on your career goal. What are you wanting to do?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 am

I think it's worth the effort.  I was in the software side of networking and have an MCSE.  It definitely helps to know what the administrator is doing and was taught to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:54 pm

timmedin wrote:I came up through networking so it helped me a bunch. Now working on the security side it helps when assessing network devices. I would say it wouldn't hurt, but it depends on your career goal. What are you wanting to do?

Thanks all for the responses there are much appreciated. The goal is to be a well rounded security professional. I am coming from a programming background and have always been weak on the networking side. I also need to be able to speak to the networking guys and be able to identify when I am being fed crap.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

ants

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi Dark,

I agree with you and everyone else, and I intend to go for a CCNA too.

At the moment, I am doing a SANS Certified Firewall Analyst - GCFW (SEC502) and so far it is pretty good at covering network principles. Although it is vendor neutral it does cover Cisco IOS basics.
CEH, GPEN, GCFW

Return to General Certification