.

Sharpening the Saw

<<

timmedin

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 469

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Sharpening the Saw

What do you guys do to stay relevant and keep up to date?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

morpheus063

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 393

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:08 am

Location: Cochin - India

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

timmedin

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 469

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).


Well duh... ;D
but what else do you guys do? I listen to 30 podcasts and follow a bunch of blogs. What else do you guys do?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

jason

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1013

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Location: USA

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Read *alot* of books, training, conferences, webcasts, professional organizations, teaching, certs.
<<

Jhaddix

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 317

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:43 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

timmedin wrote:
Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).


Well duh... ;D
but what else do you guys do? I listen to 30 podcasts and follow a bunch of blogs. What else do you guys do?


1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.

2) I also stay up on podcasts, as you do, i'm sure i don't have to name the big ones.

3) TWITTER... man i have to say.. TWITTER.  Create a  separate non personal account, and follow everybody. I follow most of the SANS instructors, podcast makers, security bloggers, AV companies, everyone. You will be surprised how often people release cool stuff early or exclusively  on twitter.

4) Stay up on CORE's and SANS Webcasts, also the SANS reading room and ISC.

5) Follow sites such as Dojosec.com, Learnsecurityonline.com, theacademypro.com, mubix's links, etc.

6) Go to Cons and training obviously.

7) Follow Syngress, Wiley, McGraw-Hill, publishing and check  their new releases.

if i think of more ill reply =)
<<

Ketchup

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1021

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:04 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

I also read milw0rm and look for aliases and names of people that submit exploits and papers.  I search for them and sometimes find forums and IRC channels they frequent.  I join them and see what the blackhats are up to.  Sometimes its interesting, sometimes not.  I think that it helps to know what's going in the blackhat community.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Ketchup

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1021

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

3) TWITTER... man i have to say.. TWITTER.  Create a  separate non personal account, and follow everybody. I follow most of the SANS instructors, podcast makers, security bloggers, AV companies, everyone. You will be surprised how often people release cool stuff early or exclusively  on twitter.


I never thought of that.  Good idea! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

brian.gordon

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

2) I also stay up on podcasts, as you do, i'm sure i don't have to name the big ones.


I don't listen to many podcasts, could you list a few good ones?
<<

Jhaddix

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 317

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

<<

timmedin

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 469

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Brian G wrote:I don't listen to many podcasts, could you list a few good ones?


Twitter is fantastic! Nothing like a brief chat with the "top dogs." Plus a fantastic networking opportunity.

Here is a list off of the top of my head. I can't remember them all, but these are the best ones.

Podcasts:
PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Pen Testing
Cyberspeak - Forensics
Data Security Podcast - News
ISC Podcast - Emerging Threats & News
Network Security Blog (Podcast) - News & PCI Spin

Blogs:
CarnalOwnage (done by our own Chris Gates, BTW, love the blog)
Impacta LLC
Metasploit Blog
Command Line Kung Fu Blog
McGrew Security Blog
Tenable Blog
SANS ISC

RSS Feeds:
Milw0rm
Security Focus
US-Cert
CSO Online
Full Disclosure
Microsoft Security Bulletins
Websens Security Labs
Cisco Security Notices
The Academy Pro


Also, I would suggest to never turn down the webcasts from SANS and EH.Net. I have never been disappointed.
Last edited by timmedin on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

Dark_Knight

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 294

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Jhaddix wrote:
timmedin wrote:
Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:Come here daily and interact in the forums / posts :).


Well duh... ;D
but what else do you guys do? I listen to 30 podcasts and follow a bunch of blogs. What else do you guys do?


1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.

2) I also stay up on podcasts, as you do, i'm sure i don't have to name the big ones.

3) TWITTER... man i have to say.. TWITTER.  Create a  separate non personal account, and follow everybody. I follow most of the SANS instructors, podcast makers, security bloggers, AV companies, everyone. You will be surprised how often people release cool stuff early or exclusively  on twitter.

4) Stay up on CORE's and SANS Webcasts, also the SANS reading room and ISC.

5) Follow sites such as Dojosec.com, Learnsecurityonline.com, theacademypro.com, mubix's links, etc.

6) Go to Cons and training obviously.

7) Follow Syngress, Wiley, McGraw-Hill, publishing and check  their new releases.

if i think of more ill reply =)




Thanks for that Jhaddix
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

timmedin

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 469

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Jhaddix wrote:1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.


Mind sharing the OPML?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

Jhaddix

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 317

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:19 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

timmedin wrote:
Jhaddix wrote:1) Well, 30 blogs is good, but there are many more. I have a custom OPML file which includes mine, most of my instructors from SANS, the security bloggers network, and tons of other feeds.


Mind sharing the OPML?


i did!  =P
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,3492.msg16190/#msg16190
<<

RoleReversal

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 928

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 am

Location: UK

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Sharpening the Saw

Spooky timing, I've just (literally) added an RSS page to my site that I've intended to use to keep track of all my RSS feed sources, bounced over to EH-net after a weeks holiday to see what I've missed and found this thread sitting at the top :D.

Have a look to see what you think, looks like I'll have a fair few more to add after fully reading through this thread though, thanks for sharing guys.

And I'm going to have to take a closer look at the Twitter idea, hadn't thought of that.
<<

Ketchup

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1021

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Sharpening the Saw



Thanks.  I went to the link in the referenced post and got a 404 on the file.  Any chance you can repost it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
Next

Return to Other

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software