GCIH self study recommendations?

<<

unsupported

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 pm

GCIH self study recommendations?

By self study, I mean SELF STUDY. Not paying $3k for the SANS material.  I mean sitting down, cracking open books, maybe shell out for a CBT or DVD.  Other reading Counter Hack Reloaded and/or by following Ed Skoudis' around asking him questions until he caves in, do you have any recommendations for self study material?
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

unsupported

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:44 am

Re: GCIH self study recommendations?

Well, I found a great eBay deal on Counter Hack Reloaded by Skoudis for $12.50 ($8.50 and $4 for shipping).  I'm also going to read that NIST IH document.  I think I'll be well covered for a little while.
-Un
<<

vijay2

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:08 am

The only recommendation I have "SANS Self Study Materials"

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

timmedin

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am

You could volunteer to be a facilitator, only costs $700.
http://www.sans.org/training/volunteer.php

I've done it once an I highly recommend it. Best part is you get more face time with the instructor.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

vijay2

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:04 am

I would second that, I have done it multiple times. Great way to get SANS training at a very low cost and it includes the cert attempt and OnDemand Training materials.

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

unsupported

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm

I signed up for the work study, but was not picked for the course I wanted.  I guess I could try it for all of the different SANS courses and see if my manager would pay for the $700 and room and board.

But by the time we add that all up he could just pay for the On Demand.  We will see, I just passed C|EH with self-study, so I'll start reading and then hit him up for some more money for training.
-Un
<<

Jhaddix

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 pm

unsupported wrote:I signed up for the work study, but was not picked for the course I wanted.  I guess I could try it for all of the different SANS courses and see if my manager would pay for the $700 and room and board.

But by the time we add that all up he could just pay for the On Demand.  We will see, I just passed C|EH with self-study, so I'll start reading and then hit him up for some more money for training.

Talk to your conference manager and see if instead of the materials for the course you are facilitating, your can have the course you want. Tell them you love the SANS experience but your expertise level is higher than the class you were placed in... see if they can compromise... they're good people there.
<<

unsupported

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 am

Jhaddix wrote:Talk to your conference manager and see if instead of the materials for the course you are facilitating, your can have the course you want. Tell them you love the SANS experience but your expertise level is higher than the class you were placed in... see if they can compromise... they're good people there.

D'oh!  I wish I would have known.  I was approved for the GSEC in Orlando, but didn't go because it was not what I wanted.  I don't think my manager would support the work study endeavor if I am going with a cross my fingers approach.  Maybe for my next cert? :)
-Un

Return to GCIH - GIAC Certified Incident Handler