[Article]-Me Talk Good: Language and Social Engineering

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 pm

[Article]-Me Talk Good: Language and Social Engineering

It's been a little while since we published Mike's first article, but they will start to flow more regularly. Hope you enjoy his work.

Permanent link: [Article]-Me Talk Good: Language and Social Engineering

It's a fact. Nearly 100% of social engineering engagements will involve the use of language.

Yes, that was trite and obvious. But it's also true. Which means that if you want to engage an organization or individual as a target for a social engineering attack, your ability to use language will be a significant factor in the success or failure of your attack. Even more precisely, you have to know the different ways that language can be used, and the differences in the language patterns and formats for each of those uses. Only then will you be empowered to structure your language in such a way as to have maximum impact.

Before talking about how to use language, you have to be aware of language. While most of us are not aware of it, language has two (and only two) distinct actions: the movement of information and the act of influence on another person.

Let us know what you think of his SE articles. Although he has numerous other articles in the pipeline, let us know what you'd like to hear in additio to what he has planned.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

the_gamer

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:14 am

Re: [Article]-Me Talk Good: Language and Social Engineering

And, when an idea shows up that is inconsistent with the person's current set of beliefs, a part of the mind raises the "b.s.” alert, and the mind becomes immediately resistant to influence.

What is that "b.s." alert? Sorry if that sounds stupid as I should know it but I don't know and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/bs didn't clear me up, either.
<<

NickFnord

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 am

that would be this one  that you're after
<<

the_gamer

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction, NickFnord.

So basically this is meaning what the BOFH is calling "dummy mode".

Return to Murray