Networking Graduate looking for options in life!!!

<<

Birdcr

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Networking Graduate looking for options in life!!!

Hi there, i passed University here in England with a degree in networking last year, which was the general direction i wanted to go, since then i have worked in 2 different IT jobs, the first doing a first line IT service desk position for only £16K and more recently in a slightly more tech1/2nd line service desk position for £22K P/A. i have past the first part of the A+ and have a date booked for next week to take both the Net+ and the other part of the A+. I am part way through my CCNA studies and should be taking the first part (CND1) within a month, since studying for the CCNA i have developed a keen interest for the security side and now plan to sit the Security+ and CEH by the end of the year.
Although studying is going along well i am rather frustrated that my job doesnt really provide any experience from a netorking/ security  aspect.
i feel that i need to change my role but are a little confused to what kinda position i should be looking for, at the end of the day im not looking for another job that pays big bucks, i just want somewhere i can work and develop my studies as i feel im leading a double life with my studies and my career. im sure im not the only one out there in this position, any advice would be greatly appriciated. thanks
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Networking Graduate looking for options in life!!!

Birdcr,

first off, which part of the UK? If you're in my area I may know a few people worth talking to.

Secondly, from personal experience, I'd recommend taking a look at any co-location data centre in your area. Generally you get to experience *everything* the IT profession can through at you. Gives you the chance to try everything and determine exactly which part of the field interests you most.

Good luck with your upcoming exams.

RR
<<

Birdcr

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 am

thanks for the reply RoleReversal, im located 25 miles south of london (surrey), what do you mean by 'co-location data centre'? as i havent seen the term and not sure where i would find vacancies for this.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 am

Sorry Boss, wrong end of the country for me.

Take a look at Blue Square Data, they've just built some new data centres in your part of the world and are/were (not sure of timescales) looking for staff. Similar position to mine, so I can vouch for it being a good starting point in the industry for those fresh out of Uni.
<<

Birdcr

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 am

I had a look on their website but unfortuanatly can only see one position which is nowhere near where i live, think i got the idea of the kinda role i should be looking for though, what exactly is your job title, role and salary like (if you dont mind me asking)?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:53 am

My job title, officially, is Hosting Engineer.

Role is, *everything* :D I/We (small team) handle network administration, Linux/Windows admin and support, pre-sales technical consultancy, internal/external security policy (ISO27001 framework), troubleshooting, incident handling, bespoke solution design and implementation, the list goes on....
As I said it is a great way to get your feet wet.

Salary starts about where you'd expect for a fresh graduate (sorry, no specifics), but from experience there is a huge potential to gain experience rapidly and prove your abilities. If you're good and work for a good employer you should be able to increase your position and earnings failing quickly (although this may be limited by the current climate).

Generally there are a large number of data centres in the London (and surrounding) areas. London/South England is outside of my comfort zone, but you could take a look at TeleHouse, RedBus or 2e2. Alternatively most of the 'service providers' and 'outsources' will have some level of hosting provision.

If you've got a local BCS group might be worth getting to the next event and asking questions there, attendees to the BCS usually have a fair number of contacts in every field so are good people to know for local knowledge.

Hope this helps, good luck in the hunt.
<<

Birdcr

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:09 am

Hi rolereversal, looks like time to do some reseach on some data centres around my area and if i cant find any vacancies send out a load of letters of introduction.  :P
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 am

Good luck, if you want/need some additional insight on some specifics after you've done some research give me a shout and I'll help out where I can.
<<

Birdcr

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:04 am

hmmmmmm had a look alst night on loads of websites and found quite a few jobs for ISP/Data centre, although they all seemed to want quite a bit of previous experience from a similar environment or were in central london :S ill keep my eyes peeled, but looks like i should at least finnish my CCNA before planning any move into this area!
<<

Birdcr

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:25 pm

i have very little experience with Linux at the moment and a lot of jobs i am looking into require a good knowlege of Linux, im a little busy at the moment finishing off my net+ and CCNA and thinking of sec+ and CEH after, would it be worth trying to learn to use Linux by playing around with it or studying for say Linux+ and should i try doing that now as i seem to be working constantly out of work on other certifications? i understand linux is really worth knowing and you cant really get around the security field without knowing it but not sure when to study it as obviously a CCNA will get a job much more than linux knowlege, has anyone done the Linux+? is it difficult?

Return to Career Central