CEH Noob!

<<

Demagog

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 pm

CEH Noob!

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, treat me well :-)

well, i'm planning on taking the CEH course in April, i was wondering whether i'm ready for it or not! graduated from University with a CS degree last summer, took the MCSE courses while i was in my final few months of uni, CCNA courses last december/january. Work experience as an assistant network administrator is around 8-9 months now. i'm a big fan of computer security, would i be ready for the CEH course? i think i got a firm understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite, i really know my way around MCSE and CCNA material! should i go for security+ material before?

thanks for the help in advance :)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: CEH Noob!

First of all, welcome to EH-Net. I'd be interested to find out how you found us.

As for your question below, I think Security+ would be a great first step, but a lot of the concepts are covered in many of the materials in MCSE and CCNA although not specifically security courses. That being said, have you been through the CEH materials, and how nervous do they make you? If not that much, then brush up on some of the concepts and go for it without Security+. If you're uncertain, then back off a step. Passing Security+ can never hurt your chances with CEH.

On a strictly experience basis, you don't have enough. There's always the case where someone with 5 years experience can't pass it and someone with no experience aces it. You have to figure out where you fit in that equation.

Hope that helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Demagog

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 am

I came upon this Site randomly i guess! google or yahoo search, or maybe through another site  ??? i found lots of the stuff in here helpful, and from what i've read, the people here are helpful too. Would be worth sticking around  ;D

i did try to go through the CEH material, most of what i saw was tools and such! didnt find anything i hadnt heard of, in my final semester at uni i took a Network Security course, and i always try to read whatever i can about security in general!
<<

Data_Raid

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:55 am

I agree with Don, Security+ is a great start in IT security and can also count towards other certifications should you wish to persue them, for example, you can get a one year waiver for having Security+ if you want to persue CISSP certification.

Depending on whether you are ready for the course or not depends on you, it's hard for us to gauge your security related experience and understanding. The courses and certifications you have achieved don't really cover Security to the extent that the CEH does. In my opinion, it's good to go into a course with some prior knowledge or experience. In the meantime before you attend the course, it can't hurt to read some good books on IT Security/Hacking such as "Counter Hack Reloaded - Ed Skoudis", "Hacking Exposed", "Hacking for Dummies", "Art of Intrusion -  Mitnick", "Google Hacking - Long"

Good luck!
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

venom77

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:22 am

Welcome to the community! :)

Funny how I keep mentioning Google taking over the world in another thread, and here I am about to send you to one of their features :P

Have a look at this book and see if it helps:

Google Books: CEH Prep Guide.

BillV
<<

Demagog

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 am

Thx Data_raid, i got my hands on "Hacking for Dummies" and read it, very interesting! The course is in 9 days, i'll try to get one of the other books you mentioned and read it, or might go for the book BillV recommended.

Don, i really dont believe that how much experience effects how you do on an exam. once i like something or set a goal, i work real hard until i achieve that goal, i'm that type of person :)

these forums are definitly helpful, i wish i knew about them earlier. thx everyone for the input
<<

venom77

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 am

Great! Glad we could help.

Will you still be taking the CEH course next month? If so, is the exam included at the end of the course? Keep us updated and let us know how it's going.

BillV
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:12 am

Demagog wrote:Don, i really dont believe that how much experience effects how you do on an exam. once i like something or set a goal, i work real hard until i achieve that goal, i'm that type of person :)

Demagog,

In defense of Don's post, I don't think he was referring to experience being solely related to passing the exam.  His point was that there are many folks with NO experience who can study and ace an exam.  More so, I think he was implying that if you truly want the value of the course, and want to truly understand the material, the experience then comes into play, as there are many things you can garner from a certification course, when you have some real-world experience to work from, as it relates to concepts, tools, and scenarios, that someone simply studying course material and planning to pass an exam might miss out on, or fail to see.

That said, I wish you success in passing the course, and please let us all know how you fare on the exam.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 am

Well said.  ;)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker