job in counter cyberterrorism

<<

anichno

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 pm

job in counter cyberterrorism

Hi all!  I am looking into the field of counter cyberterrorism and I was having difficulty finding information on it.  Does the Air Force have a unit for this? Also what college majors should I look into to prepare myself for this?  I am currently in high school and I am very interested in this field as a potential career.  Any and all help/links to resources would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
<<

timmedin

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: job in counter cyberterrorism

Might be good to call up the Army, Navy, Marines, etc and ask them. Those guys will do anything to get you to sign up so they'll give you all sorts of info.

As far as majors, the obvious one would be Computer Science. I know a few Universities have specialized majors related to security, but I don't know which ones.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

crk

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 pm

I would suggest looking into the Air Force; they other branches of the armed forces (I'm pretty sure) all have divisions devoted to counter-cyberterrorism of some kind but I think the Air Force has their Cyber Command...I saw something on tv about it: http://www.afcyber.af.mil/

I agree that you should go for the B.S. in Computer Science. Some technical oriented universities like ITT Tech and Devry have Information Systems Security programs that could be worth looking into; I wouldn't know for sure.

The NSA, DIA, CIA, and probably FBI would be good places to look, I think.

Hope this helps!
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm

There are some good college programs out there, that specialize in security.  If computer science is too general for you, you can consider one of those.  All the military agencies will scout computer security majors in colleges.  I would say go to school and be in contact with NSA, CIA and the like.    I know one person who is studying crypto in Drexel and the NSA has been in constant contact with her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:02 am

I'll put my 2c in along with ketchup. If you want recruited, do extremely good in your chosen program. It took me ten years to finally settle down and get a BS and later a Masters. My problem was the first two years of school. I couldn't stand sitting through English and humanities courses. I discovered CLEP and DANTES exams. Made life a lot easier.

As crk said, the AF does have a cyber command. They were supposed to be the DoD's lead agency in countering the threats from cyber space. They were in the process of standing up that command last summer and were looking for people. Before you go that router though, finish school. You don't necessarily need to get a commision but that option is there.

If you want to know more about life in the military in general and the AF specifically, just ask away. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:15 am

Just a quick side-note, AF Cyber is still not taking enlistments. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday who said "we're hoping to open it up this winter."

BillV

Return to Career Central