Is professional training compulsory for the CEH in the UK?

<<

Birdcr

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:09 am

I have the necessary study resources to hand, but no experience and dont want to fork out for a training course as i dont need any additional training, (Especially @ the cost of the training round here!) i understand that training is required but is it a requirement in the UK before taking the exam?

anyone in the UK know of any practical hands-on training courses that are not focused on certification?
<<

Chan

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: Is professional training compulsory for the CEH in the UK?

You can under certain circumstances get an exam only pass from EC Council. You'll need to get someone from your organization to sign a letter saying Birdcr has been doing security related work for x number of years. You'll get an OK to do just the exam valid for one year.

I had one but stupidly didn't make time for the exam.  ::)

more info here http://www.eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm
CCNA, 100m Swimming cert.
<<

Birdcr

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Cheers for the link  ;D i looked around but couldnt seem to find that info

jeez....... this certification is a lot harder when you have to take all that information onboard. i wont eligible for the 2 years of IS experience. hmmm what is usually the cheapest way to be able to pass the training requirement? does the official self study kit count as the training requirement?
Last edited by Birdcr on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tntcoda

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:17 pm

I did it in the UK without the official training, I just wrote them a nice letter explaining how the CEH would be beneficial to what im doing (Im currently a student), maybe I was lucky but if you don't ask you don't get :)
<<

Birdcr

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:27 pm

hmmmmm might be worth a try i did my final year project on cryptography, may be able to play on that a bit hopefully :P so you just got got your response and took the exam then?
<<

tntcoda

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Yep, if they give you the ok then you get given an exam code which is valid for 3 months IIRC. I spent 2 months teaching myself the course then did the exam.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 pm

As the others have mentioned, they are usually pretty open to allowing you to attempt the exam without taking the course or having the full 2 years experience. Fill out the application here and include a letter with the experience you do have, what you have learned and why you want to earn the CEH credential. I know of several people that have done just that and been approved to take the exam. Good luck.

BillV
<<

Birdcr

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:22 pm

anyone have any hints on keywords or information that may help me in my application?

as i really dont want to have to pay to train when i have all the resources already and dont have  alot of cash going spare which issnt being spent on rent/exams or kit

:-\
<<

venom77

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm

Birdcr wrote:anyone have any hints on keywords or information that may help me in my application?

What sort of background do you have? If no experience, what have you done or studied that you feel qualifies you for the CEH certification by waiving the 2 year experience requirement?
<<

tntcoda

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 pm

I recommend covering what you existing experience is in the area, your interest in the syllabus topics, and how the cert is related to your future (i.e what you want to do) and how it will be beneficial to you. There is not a great deal more you can say really.
<<

georgekenny

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:15 am

Folks,

A Certification will be valued only if you have relevant experience!

Get the experience first and then be certifed!

My 2 cents !

Cheers

George
<<

Birdcr

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:09 am

I have been working in IT for a year, before that i did a BSC in network management and design. since then i have passed A+ booked for NEt+ and training for CCNA. i have training videos and books for CEH and would like the Cert for career progression into the Security field.
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Sorry to butt in... Whats the cost for just the exam in the UK?

Return to General Certification