National Cyber Range - Mil Red Team/Blue Team project

<<

Jhaddix

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:00 am

National Cyber Range - Mil Red Team/Blue Team project

Link

Just as foot soldiers need to practice their skills before heading into combat, America's cyber warriors need space in the virtual world to hone their skills as well. That place will be the National Cyber Range, a virtual proving ground to simulate battles and develop virtual weapons to fight our nation's enemies.

As part of that effort, Johns' Hopkins University and defense contractor Northrop-Grumman were both recently awarded multi-million-dollar contracts to help build the National Cyber Range with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

Wish we had something like this in the public sector :/
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: National Cyber Range - Mil Red Team/Blue Team project

We do don't we?
Possibilities are endless....

Hopefully some of the 'military' stuff will filter down to the lowly civvies if they come up with anything new though
<<

timmedin

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:55 pm

There are quite a few ways to practice offence, but not a lot for defence. You can set up a defensive scenario, but if you set it up yourself you know what to look for.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

Jhaddix

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:13 pm

RoleReversal wrote:We do don't we?
Possibilities are endless....

Hopefully some of the 'military' stuff will filter down to the lowly civvies if they come up with anything new though

Oh sorry role, I didn't mean there weren't training options, i meant there isn't any conglomerated red team/blue team exercises out there.

Aside for various capture the flags that allow you to attack other teams, which i only know of one (defcon), i cant think of any thing as orchestrated  as i imagine this will be.

Maybe we can make something neh?
<<

Jhaddix

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:33 pm

RoleReversal,

Have you taken the heorot classes at all? How are they compared to gpen and offsec?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:59 am

Jhaddix,

haven't taken any of heorot courses, only stuff I know them from is the De-Ice and Hackerdemia live CD's. I don't know too much about the course material but from my limited research seems fairly standard and the prices seem fairly competitive. Additionally their core courses qualify for 40 ISC2 CPE credits so it doesn't look like they're a bunch of amateurs. Anyone taken their courses?

I agree with the red-team/blue-team aspect of the training. Although if you want experience of the blue team side just stick a sacrificial box on-line and prepare to be busy :)

If this is something that you are interested in, the SANS reading room recently released a paper detailing someone's experience organising and running capture the flag events. This is something I'm looking into more indepth as it could be a cool thing to try as a training and awareness exercise or even just for moral, get the security guys facing the sys/net-ads and see who comes off best after a day of hacking, defending and pizza :D
<<

NickFnord

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:45 am

why not contact your local defcon group (there's pretty much one in every major city) and organise a CTF night every month or something?  most guys I know would jump at the opportunity if you mention "LAN gaming night", surely a bunch of security-type guys would jump at a CTF night.

going to suggest it in anycase at the next meeting I go to.
<<

Jhaddix

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 am

RoleReversal wrote:Jhaddix,

haven't taken any of heorot courses, only stuff I know them from is the De-Ice and Hackerdemia live CD's. I don't know too much about the course material but from my limited research seems fairly standard and the prices seem fairly competitive. Additionally their core courses qualify for 40 ISC2 CPE credits so it doesn't look like they're a bunch of amateurs. Anyone taken their courses?

I agree with the red-team/blue-team aspect of the training. Although if you want experience of the blue team side just stick a sacrificial box on-line and prepare to be busy :)

If this is something that you are interested in, the SANS reading room recently released a paper detailing someone's experience organising and running capture the flag events. This is something I'm looking into more indepth as it could be a cool thing to try as a training and awareness exercise or even just for moral, get the security guys facing the sys/net-ads and see who comes off best after a day of hacking, defending and pizza :D

you know Nick, thats a good idea =)

oh ho!

do i smell an eh.net red team/blue team contest abrewin?
<<

timmedin

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Jhaddix wrote:
you know Nick, thats a good idea =)

oh ho!

do i smell an eh.net red team/blue team contest abrewin?

That sounds like a cool idea. Anyone have a clue how to do that with people spread all over the world?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:52 am

Check out this group that will be at ChicagoCon:

White Wolf Security

The also have a Second Life type of environment for hackers.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

NickFnord

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 am

that white wolf security looks really good.  I'd love to work for an organisation like that.

<sidetrack>
just had a geek-gasm extrapolating:

combine a game of paint-ball king of the hill game with Network CTF:  paintballers capture a network access point and have to pug in a laptop and break into the oposing network causing an ammo shortage in the oposing team...... 
</sidetrack>
<<

Jhaddix

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:56 am

NickFnord wrote:that white wolf security looks really good.  I'd love to work for an organisation like that.

<sidetrack>
just had a geek-gasm extrapolating:

combine a game of paint-ball king of the hill game with Network CTF:  paintballers capture a network access point and have to pug in a laptop and break into the oposing network causing an ammo shortage in the oposing team...... 
</sidetrack>

i like it! I'd have to break out my pb gear... its been collecting dust :/
<<

former33t

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Just name the time and if I'm within 100 miles or so I'll gladly be there.  My gear's just been collecting dust for the last 2 years...
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk

Return to News from the Outside World