SANS 542: Build Your Own Army of Darkness: XSS Frameworks for Zombies and Profit

<<

sethmisenar

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm

SANS 542: Build Your Own Army of Darkness: XSS Frameworks for Zombies and Profit

Just wanted to let you all know about my upcoming SANS webcast.  This webcast will provide an overview of the freshly updated 542: Web Application Pen Testing course that I will be teaching at SANS Secure Europe (Amsterdam) in May.  In addition to the preview, we will also be running through some actual content from the course on XSS Frameworks and zombie recruitment in general.

Webcast will run on 03/18/2009 at 10 AM EST

Here is the info from the site: https://www.sans.org/webcasts/show.php?webcastid=92328

Webcast Overview:
Build Your Own Army of Darkness: XSS Frameworks for Zombies and Profit
Featuring: Seth Misenar

In this preview to the newly updated SEC542 Web Application Penetration Testing course being offered in Amerstdam, you will learn how build and control your very own zombie battalion/Army of Darkness. The discussion will start with a whizz|bang overview of the new 6 day version of SEC542, and quickly move to XSS Frameworks and, of course, zombies galore. Whether you are excited or petrified by the prospect of zombies, join Seth Misenar for this hour long webcast. As Bruce Campbell/Ash of Evil Dead fame would say, "Groovy".
Speaker Bios:

Seth Misenar:

When not watching zombie films, Seth Misenar serves as Founder/Lead Consultant for Context Security, which provides information security though leadership, independent research, security training, and security consulting services. His background includes network and web application penetration testing, vulnerability assessment, regulatory compliance efforts, security architecture design, as well as general security consulting. He has previously served as both a physical and network security consultant for Fortune 100 companies as well as the HIPAA and Information Security Officer for a state government agency.

In his former life, Seth received a B.S. in Philosophy from Millsaps College where he was twice selected for a Ford Teaching Fellowship. Also, Seth is no stranger to certifications and thus far has achieved credentials which include, but are not limited to, the following: CISSP, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GCWN, GCFA, GHTQ, GWAS, and MCSE credentials. He has previously taught numerous SANS classes including SEC401: Security Essentials, SEC504: Hacker Techniques, and SEC542: Web Application Penetration Testing. In addition to serving SANS in an teaching capacity, Seth also serves as both Virtual Mentor and Technical Director for SANS OnDemand.

Register for this webcast here:
https://www.sans.org/webcasts/show.php?webcastid=92328
GSE, CASP, CISSP, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GCWN, GCFA, MCSE
<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Re: SANS 542: Build Your Own Army of Darkness: XSS Frameworks for Zombies and Profit

I'm definitely signing up for this one. Appreciate the link Seth; Looking forward to it.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: SANS 542: Build Your Own Army of Darkness: XSS Frameworks for Zombies and Profit

Thank you for the link. I had asked about the Sans542 in another thread as i was thinking about doing it. This will definitely go a far way.

Can you tell us any thing else on the new offering?
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

timmedin

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:25 pm

HA, what a sweet title!
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:23 pm

Re: SANS 542: Build Your Own Army of Darkness: XSS Frameworks for Zombies and Pr

sounds cool, are they going to make that version available on demand?
<<

sethmisenar

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks for the response, all.  I definitely had fun with the title/description, and hope that it will be great webcast.

Chris (congrats on the write up in DarkReading, btw)
542 is going to be made available via OnDemand.  The 6 day version of the course is being taught next week in Orlando for the first time.  Audio is going to be captured for use in OnDemand/Self Study.  542 is listed on the OnDemand upcoming courses http://www.sans.org/ondemand/upcoming.php (though something tells me that the Feb mark is going to have been missed slightly). 

The change that has me most excited about the new 6 day version of the course is that Day 6 will be Capture The Flag.

Also, though I have not read through all of the updated material yet, the course just feels more polished than when it was a 4 day course.  The layout and flow just seems to have a lot of forethought.  The previous 4 day version of the course was great, don't get me wrong, but this version just feels like what was always intended.

If you can't tell, I am pretty excited about the new version and serving as the TA in Orlando.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the course or webcast.  Hope to see you all online on the 18th.

Right, gotta finish packing for my 630 AM flight to Orlando in the morning.

Thanks,
Seth
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:05 pm

sethmisenar wrote:Thanks for the response, all.  I definitely had fun with the title/description, and hope that it will be great webcast.

Chris (congrats on the write up in DarkReading, btw)
542 is going to be made available via OnDemand.  The 6 day version of the course is being taught next week in Orlando for the first time.  Audio is going to be captured for use in OnDemand/Self Study.  542 is listed on the OnDemand upcoming courses http://www.sans.org/ondemand/upcoming.php (though something tells me that the Feb mark is going to have been missed slightly). 

The change that has me most excited about the new 6 day version of the course is that Day 6 will be Capture The Flag.

Also, though I have not read through all of the updated material yet, the course just feels more polished than when it was a 4 day course.  The layout and flow just seems to have a lot of forethought.  The previous 4 day version of the course was great, don't get me wrong, but this version just feels like what was always intended.

If you can't tell, I am pretty excited about the new version and serving as the TA in Orlando.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the course or webcast.  Hope to see you all online on the 18th.

Right, gotta finish packing for my 630 AM flight to Orlando in the morning.

Thanks,
Seth

Safe travel and keep up us updated.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:53 am

Seth,

thanks for the link, perfect timing too as I've just found out I'm going to be stuck on the graveyard shift at work whilst it's on; shouldn't be so boring afterall :D

Have fun in Amsterdam, sounds like a good course
<<

d3l0n

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Thank you Seth for the link.

I was waiting for a while for an OnDemand version of the course, can we expected to be out in March/April 2009?
<<

sethmisenar

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:17 pm

d3l0n:

Looks like the current expectation for SEC542 going live in OnDemand is May. 

As some of you know, Kevin got sick and was unable to teach day 3 at SANS 2009.  I stepped in and taught that day, but this means that audio for day 3 of the new 6 day class has not yet been recorded.  I believe that the next opportunity for a Day 3 recording of Kevin teaching is at SANS Security East (New Orleans) in May.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Seth Misenar
<<

d3l0n

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:41 pm

Thank you Seth.

Return to GPEN - GIAC Certified Penetration Tester