any tutorials that arent out dated?

<<

ddaavnid

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:50 am

any tutorials that arent out dated?

i want to learn how to hack. not to do any harm or anything illigal. it is just interesting to me and i love to gain knowlege. i have looked through hundreds of tutorials but the only ones that i can find are out dated. if anybody can give me some tutorials or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appriciated. thanks
<<

NickFnord

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:09 am

Re: any tutorials that arent out dated?

some questions that will help us point you in the right direction:

> do you understand computer networking?
> do you know how to program (in what languages)
> are you comfortable with unix/linux operating systems
> do you understand databases and SQL?
> can you read assembly language

"hacking" has many different aspects - do you want to reverse engineer applications, write tools, penetration test for a job? 
<<

ddaavnid

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 am

i learned C from some tutorials and i know how to read assembly language, but i dont really know how to apply either. its pretty tough to apply this stuff with out any help. i want to do all types of hacking. i dont want to limit my self to one aspect. although penetration testing stands out to me. but i understand that there is alot that i need to learn before i do certain things. what do you think the best place to start out would be? and thanks for the post by the way.
<<

timmedin

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 am

My suggestion is similar to Nick's. Once you understand the pieces he mentioned then you can start using some of the tools.

There is quite a bit on YouTube and TheAcademyPro.com, but you have to know what you are looking for. I would suggesting downloading BackTrack3 (or 4 Beta) and going through each of the installed tools. For each tool, do a search on YouTube and see what comes up. You might be able to follow some rabbit trails to find other things that interest you.

BT includes MetaSploit, and researching that one will be a significant project. It is a very powerful tool and there are lots of pieces and options for that one.

Good luck!
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

ddaavnid

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 am

my internet is very slow cuz im stationed in iraq right now but i will try and find a way to download backtrack3 and check out theacademypro.com. thanks man
<<

timmedin

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:58 am

A lot of work is going to require that you attack actual services. Your best bet is going to be Virtual Machines. You can run them on a laptop/desktop with VMWare player. If you have an extra server laying around I would recommend VMWare ESXi (free).

I'd suggest checking out this thread
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... 17010/#new
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:53 am

Welcome to EH-Net and thanks for your service.

A good starting place are the pinned topics at the top of this board. Also, check out the free sample chapters in our book section. Since you know C and can read assembly, then 2 great books are Hacking: The Art of Exploitation 2nd Edition and Shellcoder's Handbook (mentioned numerous times in the forums). Networking is also important, so look at something like The TCP/IP Guide which is freely available online.

This should keep you busy for a while. Let us know if you have some specific questions. If you bring a little to the table, our members are eager to help.

All the best,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

ddaavnid

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 pm

thanks alot for the help guys. i will for sure have some questions and i will definatly be busy with the sources you gave me.

Return to Network Pen Testing