[Article]-DIY Career in Ethical Hacking: The R-Rated Version

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 pm

[Article]-DIY Career in Ethical Hacking: The R-Rated Version

A slightly saltier version of the original. Not all will find it improved, but it's definitley new.  8)

Permanent link: [Article]-DIY Career in Ethical Hacking: The R-Rated Version

The first time I gave this speech was at the SANS WhatWorks in Pen Testing Summit in 2008. Although the content was what I wanted to cover, I did tone it down it bit for the audience. I had a strong desire to do the talk again in the future, but had no intention on presenting at my own event, ChicagoCon. I must admit, that it didn't take too much arm twisting from some of the other EH-Netters to get me back to the podium.

So last fall at ChicagoCon 2008f (yes... that's what the 'f' is for), I took the advice and went for it. Not only is this version slightly longer, the stories I tell are not all the same & the free resources section is much longer, but also the audience was different allowing me to less loose. As I state in the speech itself, it's actually in the script for me to drop the 'F' Bomb... and I don't mean 'f'all. So if you really enjoyed the first one, then I'm excited to be able to share with you this new edition. If you're of the Disney crowd, the please refer to the last one. I still think it's worthwhile.

Enjoy and as always, give me yur brutally honest opinions,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Jhaddix

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: [Article]-DIY Career in Ethical Hacking: The R-Rated Version

nice!

/blogged
<<

NickFnord

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:03 am

nice - I found the first one very inspirational - I'm looking forward to hearing this one
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:49 am

Cheers Don, looking forward to getting the time to listen to this, enjoyed the last version.

(Given the recent issues, not sure I want download the .pdf slides though.... :D)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks NickFnord for the compliment. Let me know what you think of the Grandfather story in this one.

RoleReversal - As for the pdf, don't worry... you can trust me!  :-*

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Artful Dodger

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm

I enjoyed listening to this.  I listened while I was in traffic.  I really enjoy MP3s of this stuff to listen to while driving.  If only all of the study guides were like this.  I liked the stories and the idea of @%$it, just get out there and do it.  But my favorite part of the presentation is that you are not looking at is as a "punching the clock" JOB.  You seem to look at it as a grass roots way of life that you can happen to make money in.  so many folks base these conversations on how to wait for the right job, line youself up for the right position and all of the other variables that you may not have control over.  You seem to emphisise making it happen then letting those pieces fall together.

My grandfather also had a life changing affect on me.  He said "if you cant buy it, you cant afford it" damn he was ahead of his time:) And he said "just do what you love and I am sure you will make money at some point.  Unless you are horrible, then just do something you are OK at but dont suck at."
CISSP, C|HFI, Security+, Network+, XYZ...blah.
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 pm

thats some good advice right there!
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks, Don. That was brilliant, and very helpful to a newbie like myself :)
A+, Network +, Security +, Linux +,

MCP/MCTS: Vista Config.

Work in progress: CEH

Currently Reading: Hacking-The Art Of Exploitation.

Recommended book: Counter Hack Reloaded.
<<

MicroJay

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Nicely done!  Burned it on a CD and played it on my way to work in the car.  Kept me interested through the whole thing.
This is a CD I will give to people if they ever have a situation that they need to 're-evaluate' what they currently are doing.  If it just benifits one more person, it was worth it!
GSEC - GCIH - GSNA - GPEN
<<

timmedin

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 pm

I found the presentation very enlightening. I've heard people talk about some of the career/goals aspects before but the hacker spin made it hit much closer to home. I am definitely making some changes to my career plan. Thanks!
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 pm

Finally had the chance to listen to this version tonight. As always, very well said, Don :) Quite inspirational and really helps put things into a good perspective.

Thanks!

BillV
<<

jason

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:31 am

I've only managed to squeeze in about half of the revised one so far, but it really is a very good talk.
<<

Stewby

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:27 pm

That was a good talk, i even took a quote from it and stuck in on a post-it.  "what do I have to do, so I can do what I want to do?"

Thanks for sharing it with the world.
<<

w007

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:48 am

Don, you really have an ability to persuade someone with your stories. I was really touched by the one in previous speech about your son.
In this speech, you talked about your grandfather, it was moving as well. Shows your devotion and how much you care about people around you.

I think I was the right audience for your speech. Comparing it to the previous one,  the only thing that was different and really techy was last 25 mins. Which i played over several times...

I was wondering if you could upload the ISO image of the DVD you distributed at the con. or maybe just list the tools, that's good enough.

Great Job , and thanks for the motivation!
<<

ants

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks Don!

I normally shudder at the idea of motivational talks but this was excellent. I'm just now trying to start my career in this area and you have given me a lot to think about.
CEH, GPEN, GCFW
Next

Return to Editor-In-Chief