.

News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

<<

KrisTeason

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 515

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:48 pm

Location: /dev/null

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:21 pm

News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

Saw this one on Security-Sh3ll figured I'd post it here, maybe it'd open a discussion. I was personally amazed by the number of unique banking trojans F-Secure found on the net at the end of 2008, didn't know it was that high.

"The latest advances in Internet bank theft include the use of Trojan programs that can slip onto an unsuspecting computer's hard drive through a viral link on a greeting card or in e-mail spam. The Trojan hides out on the hard drive and waits until the computer user logs onto a banking Web site, and then acquires user names and passwords."

eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

jason

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1013

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Location: USA

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

I don't know where all these financial breaches are heading, but it can't be anywhere good, even in the short term. Here's an article talking about compromised account info of Germans, with the potential of three out of four Germans having compromised info. Scary.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/09 ... _for_sale/
<<

timmedin

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 469

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

As Willie Sutton the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks, 'because that's where the money is'."

Better to go after the bank than try some spam attack which has a very low return, one in a million. However, I am still suprised by the number of bits of software, but I wonder how many are mutations of the same code change automatically to hide. What I wonder is how many developers there are, not that we will be able to get a solid number.

As an aside I get a kick out of reporters...

One Internet security  expert says banking Trojans are more advanced and evolving faster than anti-virus solutions.

One, only one? ...and they didn't even cite him.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

RoleReversal

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 928

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 am

Location: UK

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:07 am

Re: News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

timmedin wrote:
One Internet security  expert says banking Trojans are more advanced and evolving faster than anti-virus solutions.

One, only one? ...and they didn't even cite him.


I could be doing someone an injustice, but isn't that the lazy journalist way of saying: 'I'm sure I could get someone to agree with this if I could be bothered to do the leg work...'?

Although to be fair I'm sure you could find lots of people that agree with the statement if you did some digging
<<

timmedin

User avatar

Sr. Member
Sr. Member

Posts: 469

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Re: News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

RoleReversal wrote:
timmedin wrote:
One Internet security  expert says banking Trojans are more advanced and evolving faster than anti-virus solutions.

One, only one? ...and they didn't even cite him.


I could be doing someone an injustice, but isn't that the lazy journalist way of saying: 'I'm sure I could get someone to agree with this if I could be bothered to do the leg work...'?

Although to be fair I'm sure you could find lots of people that agree with the statement if you did some digging


Not to mention that bypassing AV has become trivial. Using MetaSploits msfencode you can package executables to bypass AV. John Strand has a video on it.
http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=vide ... metasploit
Last edited by timmedin on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

RoleReversal

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 928

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 am

Location: UK

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:44 am

Re: News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

timmedin wrote:John Strand has a video on it.
http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=vide ... metasploit


Thanks for the link, good stuff. I hadn't seen this done manually with msfencode, saw Muts' presentation at Schmoo where something similar was done manually, also worth a look if you haven't seen it
<<

jason

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1013

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Location: USA

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: News : Online Banking and Internet Hackers

I'll have to add this to my Muts list. I'll get around to them all eventually.

Return to Malware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software