OSPC vs CPT (Iacrb) ? should I?

<<

jackjackson

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 pm

OSPC vs CPT (Iacrb) ? should I?

I already took infosec CEH bootcamp which was probably the best training I ever taking. And the labs were awesome

There CPT test took me over a month to complete due to the fact this was my first pen test and also had to get a little more familiar with linux.

Here is the link to the test.
http://www.iacertification.org/cpt_cert ... ester.html

My question here is, if anyone has taking the CPT by Iacrb how does it compare to this OSCP challenge, should I give it a shot or just pay for 700$.
I mean I paid wellover 4k for infosec's botocamp class and it was well worth it.
Got my CEH and CPT.
The OSCP challenge seems to shock from what I been reading people who have been in the security field already, not sure of anyone heres technical skill.
As we all know there are plenty of "fly by night" security companies.

From what I been reading here its seems more of breaking into a network then scanning it and going through host by host and Id assume some MTM attacks/sniffing.
Exploits are the easy part.

So my question is should I go ahead and take the OSCP challenge or polish up my skills more before attempting?

I don't want to take the test and fail, like to know what im up against.

Thanks to all who can give me some insight.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: OSPC vs CPT (Iacrb) ? should I?

I'm not sure if anyone on this board has the CPT certificate but I've seen a lot around here with the C|EH. I'd say go for it. We have a member on here named Dark_Knight, he just obtained his and he had the CEH prior to taking it and he said it helped him out a little bit. Just looked into the challenges for the CPT which involve compromising systems, I hear that's similar to the final challenge of the Off Sec course. I also wouldn't say exploits are the easy part I'm sure the course would definitely take more then just throwing exploits at a machine to pass the course. I'd say get comfortable with Back Track considering your using it the whole time throughout the labs, if you have the CPT and CEH that may help out. If you sort of doubt your potential sign up for the 60 days lab access just to make sure your prepared for the final challenge, which I hear takes hours to complete. Plus if you need help the people here wouldn't mind giving their input, there's a couple OSCP on this board so I'm sure they're input on this thread would be better than mine.
Last edited by KrisTeason on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

jackjackson

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Thats what im wondering about if I knew what the final challenge entailed and I felt i was ready for it Id pay for it, but if im not ready for it id like to sharpen my skills a bit more.
But it kinda of sucks when there is no outline of it.
Any exam or even the CPT publicly tell you on there site the goals whereas this OSCP is all hush hush.
Thats what bothers me, I don't mind paying the 750.
Id like to know what it entails thats all

BTW the cpt was not to easy, just took alot of time and exploring.
<<

ravenmsb

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:49 pm

OSCP is one big pen-test with different systems to attack and different ways to exploit them there is no certain way to take the test really. points are awarded for what you do how far you get on each system. The higher the skill level of compromising the box the more points you get. It's not like anything that is out there the systems are not super soft even though they have plenty of vulnerabilities it take's patience and time just like any real hack or pen-test. Infosec Institute has great programs and they teach the material better than most but I would recommend just putting down the money and buying the coarse and spending at least 30 days in the lab, depending on how much time you can devote to the class. The lab that they provided for PWB 2.0 was amazing and well worth the money alone. If you don't have much experience with Linux you will need the time. The coarse is all geared toward the certification you document everything that you do and they even give you insane challenges that will get you extra points on the test. When compared with the CPT which I also took around the same time as my C|EH I would say that the OSCP much harder it took me about 15 hrs with little breaks to complete most of what I did and I didn't get close to all of it. The bottom line here though is the OSCP coarse has value in it that I just haven't seen in C|EH for sure or in CPT it is closer to the CEPT than the CPT. My advice is to spend the money and get 60 days lab time. I don't know if you need it but it's just so much fun that I recommend it. I am getting ready to upgrade my materials and take the PWB 3.0 with 30 days lab time and I can't wait. The great thing is if you are a PWB alum you get a huge discount on all the future upgrades. good luck !
CEPT,  OSCP, C|EH, CPTE, CPT
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:02 am

i'm also preparing for the OSCP challenge, but perhaps i will go for WiFu first, just to get to know how Offensive Security works and how "bad" my skills are before i attempt OSCP. As far as i have seen you will work on your programming skills throughout the course and if you take your time and document your steps well you will pass for sure! good luck and let us know what you decide!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

sil

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:I'm not sure if anyone on this board has the CPT certificate but I've seen a lot around here with the C|EH. I'd say go for it.

I've got both the OSCP and CPT from IACRB and they're two different although similar tests. The OSCP is all hands on and unless you've been in the industry for a while and understand many concepts and tools, you will find it difficult. Otherwise it should be a breeze. The CPT is two-fold. A written and a practical similar to the OSCP however, it won't consist of usually more than 2 compromises. In which you need to compromise one before you even get close to the other.

The CPT content is more structural and informative than the OSCP and this is not to say the OSCP lacks anything. IACRB's content authors (Koziol, etal) have put a lot of work into explaining a "step above" typical pentesting concepts. So you WILL (emphasis WILL) learn a lot more about shellcoding (after all Jack wrote the book), different types of exploits, tips and tricks.

OSCP was fun and definitely worth the buy however for the content, The CPT has a greater value with the CEPT having even more value. I will be re-taking the CEPT as I failed by one.
<<

jonas

Post Thu May 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I just signed up for the OSPC, and I can't wait =)  After getting more information it all looks awesome, and i like that its all hands-on, atleast thats how i learn stuff...!

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional