Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Home Lab Opinions

CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Home Lab Opinions

Go for it...A 3,000 dollar value for $500. The user also has a high reputation on the site so you know your buying from a trusted source....The shipping on that bad boy is up there....
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:12 am

Dark_Knight,

on the whole looks like a good bit of kit for the price.

Do a bit of your own research before you take the plunge though as I wouldn't take all of the 'retail' prices at face value. For example, $480 retail for 8GB of RAM seems a little steep. I've just purchased 4GB of server RAM to upgrade my own lab server and it cost me the equivalent of $90, including delivery.

Looks good like a good deal, but (unsurprisingly) probably not quite as good as the seller is claiming
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:29 am

Hey RoleReversal,
I'm checking your blog out and see that your running ESXi on the HP. What drives are you running SATA? How did you manage to get it up and running?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 am

Dark_knight,

currently I'm just running with the standard single 250GB SATA that came with the machine. I didn't have to many problems getting ESXi installed, although you need more memory to install it than the 1GB RAM that came with the server. Seems to be a fairly well known issue, cheap RAM upgrade ~£40 for another 4GB did the job.

Only issue I've had since is getting the guests to see the drives. For Windows OSes, but VMWare have released a floppy image with the required drivers here. Once I found this it's been plain-sailing.

Did you have any specific issues in mind that you were expecting me to hit? (I might have had to find a work around and them promptly forgot...)
<<

charlottebandit

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:23 am

What kind of images are you planning to run on it?  Sounds like fun. 
MS, CCSP, CCNP, CCDP, CEH, CHFI, CPTS
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 am

A couple nix along with some windoze. I wanna have about 4-5 images in total.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:51 am

Currently I've got Win2000, WinXP SP0/1/2/3, Win2k3 for native MS sploits and some snapshots with some vulnerable services installed for application land exploits. (I'm currently trying to get a win95 guest running, but that's more for gaming nostalgia than security...)

On the linux side I've got debian (my flavour of choice) again running some older and unpatched services. Plus the usual bootable victims of De-ICE, DVL etc.

Moving forward I want set some windows boxes running in AD rather than in workgroups to play with pass the hash etc. and simulate a more 'authentic' environment.

When (if) my funds improve I'd also like to expand outside of the virtual lab with some cisco switching/routing hardware and some wireless to try some of the blended attack scenarios outlined in the pentest perfect storm series.
<<

charlottebandit

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:58 am

THat's a sweet deal then.  If you could find another with a little more RAM, you would be set because you'll want to allocate more than 1GB per image for functionality.

Not only that, but this could also be a platform for you to either get your RHCE or MCSE if you want which is why I suggested more RAM.  Either way, it's a sweet deal.

Just went out and bought a new server with 16GB of RAM (< to 64GB!) and with 2 Quad-core processors.  It cost around $1500 but I have different network images that works for customer demos or even training.  Thought about also using it to do a deeper dive into Redhat (very familiar already) and maybe even get my RHCE.  Or I can just stick with security images like NAC, ACS, MARS, and CSA.  Been also interested in voice too and should look into Cisco Call Mgr, Unity, Presence, and other ones for solid VOIP familiarity, and assessments.

Damn, not sure where I'm gonna find the time for all this!  Haha.  Unless I get laid off due to all these cutbacks everyone.  
<<

charlottebandit

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 am

RoleReversal wrote:When (if) my funds improve I'd also like to expand outside of the virtual lab with some cisco switching/routing hardware and some wireless to try some of the blended attack scenarios outlined in the pentest perfect storm series.

That would be a good thing because there's so many security countermeasures you could do JUST with switches and routers.  In fact you could nix maybe 80+% of attacks through this!  Yup. 

And from the wireless side, it's pretty much hopeless to get into the network with 802.11n, NAC, IPS, MARS, and ACS integration.  Heck, I'd like to see them get through 802.11n using AES personal and CCX 5 cards (most Intel cards).  They provide a frame protection from AP attacks.  Unless of course the engineer puts in incredibly weak passwords to begin with like "cisco" or "password". 
Last edited by charlottebandit on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:23 am

charlottebandit wrote:Damn, not sure where I'm gonna find the time for all this!  Haha.  Unless I get laid off due to all these cutbacks everyone.  

Now that sounds familiar :D I've spent the best part of a week trying to find time get a vulnerable application installed, never mind actually developing the exploit.....

While I'm currently using my lab to practice the offensive side trying to complete OffSec101, eventually I'm wanting to go down the route of malware analysis. Similar scenarios to the talk Tom Liston gave at ChicagoCon 2007

Return to Hardware