OSCP, CREST or TIGERSCHEME

Which Certification would be recommended for a newbie OSCP, CEH, CREST or TIGERSCHEME

OSCP
13%
CEH
88%
CREST
No votes
TIGERSCHEME
No votes

Total votes : 8
<<

T_Bone

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:08 pm

OSCP, CREST or TIGERSCHEME

Hi All

I am new to this forum and new to security in general.  I am currently working as a sys admin (predominately in windows) and want to move into the security field.  As with Sys admin Certifications are important as they show your level of expertise.  I am aware that there are a few Security certifications, some of which are more recognised than others.  As a newbie would it be wise to start of doing OSCP, CEH followed by maybe CREST or TIGERSCHEME?

Any advice is appreciated

Regards
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: OSCP, CREST or TIGERSCHEME

Never heard of #3 and #4, and since you said for the newbie, it would have to be CEH.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 pm

I'll also second Don and say go with the C|EH first. We have an OSCP member here named Dark_Knight, if I remember correctly, he said it helped him a little bit holding the C|EH before obtaining his OSCP.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Agreed  :)
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

elcapitan

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm

CEH... T_Bone, I would go for that first. Since you're predominantly Windows, I would start experimenting with Unix (not on the job, of course). To pass the CEH you have to have a solid understanding of Unix/Linux.
CISSP, Security+, CEH, OPP, et alii
<<

T_Bone

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:13 am

Hi

Thanks for the response guys, the reason i had asked is because from looking at Job postings (in the UK, where i am based), i dont really see a demand for CEH it seems to be more towards either Crest, TigerScheme or CHECK.  But I have now realised that both Crest and Tigerscheme were founded here in the UK.

Cheers
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 am

Sounds like a great, new thread explaining to all of us what those other certs are.  ;)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

T_Bone

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 am

I have created a new thread in the Certifications section to see if we can get more light on the CREST and TIGERSCHEME Qualifications

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,3621.0/
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 am

T_Bone wrote:Thanks for the response guys, the reason i had asked is because from looking at Job postings (in the UK, where i am based), i dont really see a demand for CEH it seems to be more towards either Crest, TigerScheme or CHECK.  But I have now realised that both Crest and Tigerscheme were founded here in the UK.

T_Bone,

what part of the UK (if you don't mind telling)? It's where I'm based and I've only seen Job postings requiring CEH, CISSP, etc. Like most here I've not come across CREST or TIGERSCHEME until your post.

RR
<<

T_Bone

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 pm

I am based near London, I must admit either CHECK or CREST in the uk seem the most predominant, i dont see many jobs requiring CEH at all when i perform a search on jobserve, jobsite etc for Penetration testing all over the UK.  Tigerscheme is newly founded here so is not well known at all yet and havent seen anyone asking for it yet
<<

Ne0

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

T_Bone
CEH gives u the best of explore to the hacking and security field its like CCNA for Cisco, but have to say CEH doenst give u full deep knowledge, u can do CHECK and then opt for some heigher certifications
<<

T_Bone

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks guys, i have to say i am pleasantly surprised because two consultants I know working for companies in london have always told me that having the CEH cert wont help you much in the UK.  But as it does seem to be such a recognised cert in the US it seems like it will be wise to maybe have a go at it
<<

Ne0

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:26 pm

OSCP is slowly getting recognized, and as it is giving credits for CISSP, so u have a better advantage over it ... it even depends on wht u would be gaining from it as they say it TRY HARDER

Return to OSWP - Offensive Security Wireless Professional