A question on becoming CEH certified

<<

ironic

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:17 am

A question on becoming CEH certified

Hi guys.

Ive been looking at becoming a CEH for some time now, its something that attracts me a lot, and its become a personal goal to achieve this certification in order to further my knowledge/career in IT Security.

I am Comptia A+ and Network+ certified.

I would like to buy the SELF STUDY KIT, as i have a very limited budget.

Do you guys think its a good option?

Thanks.
<<

jason

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 am

Re: A question on becoming CEH certified

This really depends on how comfortable you are with the subject matter. I did self study for mine and it was (mostly) a breeze.
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 am

Welcome to the CEH track.  I am on the same track myself.  I think that would be a good option, but since you have a limited budget I will recommend the cheapest options first rather than spending a ton of money up front.  Check your local library (either county or college), for $1.50 in late fees you can get a good CEH education.  I would highly recommend the CEH Official by Kimberly Graves to give you a good understanding of what you need, then fore a deeper dive you have the Exam Prep CEH by Michael Gregg.  Gregg gives a really good explanation of everything you read in the Graves book and them some.  Including exercises at the end of each chapter.  I haven't been through the exercises yet, but I would imaging if you just downloaded Backtrack you would be able to follow along.

If you are unable to locate the books at the library then you may be able to use Craigslist or Freecycle to get the books for free.  (Information Security is all about giving back!)

If you are employed in a technical role, you may be able to get the company to purchase the materials for you.  At the very least see if your company has access to Books24x7.  There are a few CEH books on there and they add new books each week!

I am lucky that where I work there are others who have taken the CEH, we have Books 24x7, I have a good college library, and my company also provides money for a training budget.

Good luck and don't give up your dream!
Last edited by unsupported on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

Krizzc

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi,

I just passed my C|EH having done the v6 course. 67 modules is a lot to remember if you are studying over a period of time and there are many 'quirks/errors' in the exam which I would never have known about doing self study.

The exam is not actually that hard and the eccouncil seem like a bunch of money grabbers but I found the course really helped but I still need to do some study to fully understand all the material. Also I am not sure how up to date the tools/methodologies are for a real world application. You can probably learn better tools/techniques online.....but then how do you prove you know it ?

Krizz
MCSE:Security, C|EH
CCNP, CCSP, MCSE:Security, C|EH
<<

lamberta

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:29 pm

My work purchased the v6 courseware from quickcert/specialized solutions. It seems to be an overwhelming amount of material (3 large volumes of slides and 2 large volumes of labs. Can you shed any light on what was important in those 67 modules?
-----------------------------------
BS & MS Computer Science
MCSE2003:Security, CISSP, Linux+, Security+
<<

KrisTeason

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:56 pm

The material does look pretty overwhelming, lots and lots of tools to cover. Some of the tools they don't even need to go over and it's pointless to even demonstrate. Tools like Back Oriffice 2000? NeoTrace? Who actually uses tools like this in a Pen Test? I mean it sounds like I'm knocking down the course pretty hard but seriously? I'd really like to know what's important to get your hands around as well before taking the test, I hear it's good to know the parameters of some command line tools but someone who just obtained the C|EH, what modules seem necessary to actually know?
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP

Return to General Certification