Iron Key Hackable?

<<

Thegmandrive

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Iron Key Hackable?

I was curios to  see if anyone has successfully hacked a Iron-Key. I'm ordering one, for "fun". Just want to know if my 140 dollar investment was worth it  ;D
<<

jason

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Iron Key Hackable?

I've not heard of anyone hacking one. To the best of my knowledge they're solid. You should do a writeup on it when you get it.
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 pm

I will  ;D. Ill be getting it in the next few days.
<<

timmedin

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 am

I've got one and I really like it.

Its metal casing is *very* sturdy, I have put it through the washing machine, dropped it, stepped on it, and left it in the snow (stupid shoveling) with no issues. The cap is rubberized and doesn't snap in place, and I thought it wouldn't be long before the cap went missing but I haven't lost it yet. I have my keys on the same key ring and those beat the snot out of it and it still keeps on ticking.

The password manager is excellent for web page passwords and bookmarks but doesn't have a lot of features. Not a lot of choices for password generation (one size fits all). Also, if you want to manage non-web credentials then the IronKey's password manager is barely useable. I installed KeePass Portable and easily added its icon to the IronKey's control panel.

The IronKey also comes with a browser which is handy for those not-so-trustworthy computers that have a hosed browser with 15 crapware toolbars.

All in all, I highly recommend it. The only ding is I want more advanced features on the password manager, but it would probably confuse the masses.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 am

I have had one since the release, its an excellent bit of kit.
Only started using it again receantly, and it had lots of updates for the firmware, which reminds me I still need to find out what they did.

Deffo excellent product that I wouldnt hesitate to give others the thumbs up on.

I also have not heard any reports of these getting hacked, and long may it continue.
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:38 am

I have one of the competing products from Kingston. Other that not blowing up if you tamper with it, it seems to have largely the same set of functionality.
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 am

I think alot of them in the same market are good, and will do the job. However the Iron Key is soooo James Bond :)

I must get myself a Bio-Metric USB Stick at some point to.
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:19 am

I hadn't really looked into it before, but it looks like everyone and their brother has one out these days

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e?url ... sb&x=0&y=0
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 pm

So I received my iron key and found it to be pretty amazing. It has a secure version of FireFox, that I think tunnels to a server in Canada to keep you “browsing” pretty private. It’s seems like it would be pretty un-hackable. I did a little research on the net, and found that it the general consensus.

I only have one complaint/annoyance the secure Firefox and the slick interface, is only for Windows (ick I hate Windows). They have an app for Mac osx, and Linux, but it only unlocks the Iron Key nothing else.

Now I just gotta figure out what I would like to put on it that I want to keep so secure from everyone  ;D.
<<

jason

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:28 pm

I would think that you could rig up something similar for other OSs based on something similar to portable firefox. Or just try running it under an emulator like wine.
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:46 pm

jason wrote:I would think that you could rig up something similar for other OSs based on something similar to portable firefox. Or just try running it under an emulator like wine.

I'm trying to figure that out.. I know there is a portible version of firefox for the usb drive, not 100% sure how to set that up. I checked the Windows version of the secure firefox to see if I could get the server setting, but that was a no go.

I tried cross over mac from codewevers, which I'm pretty sure uses wine as a base.

Any suggestions on how I could get firefox portible to tunnel? 
<<

jason

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I think these are instructions for windows, but the concepts should be the same

http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/2 ... _drive.php
<<

Thegmandrive

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Thank you very much

BTW awesome blog.
<<

securityguru

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:24 pm

dalepearson wrote:I think alot of them in the same market are good, and will do the job. However the Iron Key is soooo James Bond :)

I must get myself a Bio-Metric USB Stick at some point to.

I'd suggest looking at MXI's Stealth MXP (www.mxisecurity.com)  they have an AES 256bit CBC encryption versus Ironkey's 128 bit.

Erick Jasch of monitor magazine said in an article in Dec 07 ""If James Bond needed a USB flash drive, he'd get a Stealth MXP."

Try not to get too fooled by Ironkey's marketing hype, they aren't necessarily 'the strongest encrypted flash drive' on the market...
<<

eth3real

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm not sure many people are going around cracking 128 bit AES encryption, so that MXP thing might be a bit overkill if it costs more than the competition.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
Next

Return to Hardware