BackTrack v.1.0 is available!

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu May 25, 2006 4:44 pm

BackTrack v.1.0 is available!

Back|Track Security Final Release
After spending countless hours flattening out bugs - Max and I will soon be releasing the final version of BackTrack. Our estimated date is the 26th May, but of course, subject to change.

Check http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/BackTrack

We've decided to beta test the final release, and provide a limited download to our hardcore IRC users - just to make sure we havn't messed anything up. Several nice people are helping us host this iso. PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK.

http://backtrack.mick27.info/iso/backtr ... 8-5-06.iso
http://64.27.12.222/backtrack-final-18-5-06.iso
MD5sum : 14ebbbf7f914cc547fba995c513fa4bf

Taken from the developer blog.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri May 26, 2006 3:32 pm

Re: BackTrack v.1.0 is available!

After a short check, v1.0 Final is now available on RemoteExpolit's Download Page:

http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php ... _Downloads

Have fun,
Don
<<

Negrita

Post Sun May 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Well after a bumpy start I must say I'm impressed. I've only been playing with it for a few hours, but I feel a write up is in order.

The mirror I used to download it wouldn't download at flat rate. (I used Mirror 2 - Sponsored by SWITCHmirror - FTP). What should have taken less than 50 minutes to download took just about an hour. After checking the MD5 sum, I burned the disk with k3b, which finished succesfuly, but the CD wouldn't boot. I then burned the same image in Windows using Nero 6 and it works just fine. Go figure.  :-\

The final release is a great improvement over the beta version I downloaded a few months ago. The beta version didn't want to grant me internet access even after configuring my eth0 interface, and sometimes I had to reboot several times before I could surf. This seems to be fixed with the final version.

The software versions seem all very up to date i.e. Linux Kernel 2.6.15.6, Nmap 4.03, Firefox 1.5.0.3, etc. the Firefox browser comes with a wealth of links stored in the Bookmarks (strange that they didn't add them to Konqueror though). The list isn't half as comprehensive as that of Knoppix STD Firebird list, but it's still impresive anyway. It also has a huge list of detailed exploits int the /pentest menu. Most importantly, it seems as though they've added many more tools to the final version that weren't there before.

It defaults to KDE but I tried Fluxbox too which is really cool and super fast on my box.

I might try a HDD install to see how that goes. If I do, I'll report back.  :)
Last edited by Negrita on Sun May 28, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:35 pm

Probably blind luck, or rather lack of luck, but I had to burn the ISO image twice as well.

In reading the BackTrack developer forums and blogs, they purposely left out a number of tools from the beta to concentrate more on the stability of the distro. So I was pleased to see that many of the tools that were left out of the beta made it into the final release.

This is a great resource for newbies and pros alike. For pros, most of what you need is in there for both pen testing and forensics. For newbies, simply go through the menus, and, if there is something unfamiliar, start becoming familiar. Launch the tool, play around, look it up online... great way to learn.

Have fun,
Don
<<

Dengar13

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Downloading this now...do you need to know Linux commands?
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:43 pm

Not to run the distro, but to run some of the apps / tools, you will.

Simply put the CD in the drive, boot to it, and you will get to a prompt. There is a little cheat sheet that tells you the UN and PW for root as well as the command to launch the GUI. I also recommend running the DHCP command before the GUI. It helps.

Don
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:49 am

Dengar13, after login, type "startx" for KDE or "flux" for fluxbox.

The dhcp function never works for me so I have to configure the NIC manually.

Well I've decided against a HDD install, mainly because Knoppix 5.0.1 is now available on mirrors and I'd rather install that. Besides using the BackTrack live CD, I'm also using it as a VMware virtual appliance. For those of you that don't know how to do this, download VMware Player and then download the LiveCD Player. Place the iso image in the Virtual machine directory and rename it to "livecd.iso". You can then use it just like any other Virtual Appliance.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Dengar13

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Where is this cheat sheet?  I can't even login...  :'(

I am a 'Nix n00b.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

Dengar13

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:51 pm

I can log in, now I am trying to get network access.  DHCPD nor setting my IP address works.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:55 pm

Dengar13 wrote:Where is this cheat sheet?  I can't even login...  :'(

Regarding being a 'Nix newbie, firstly I recommend you got to this web site, and read it through from begining to end. That should put you on you feet. Another good begining to end read is this web site. Secondly, the book UNIX For Dummies, by John R. Levine and Margaret Levine Young was one of the most informative and "easiest to read" IT related books I've come accross. Thirdly don't forget the manual!!!  8) UNIX and Linux come with a built in manual. From any shell you can just type the command;
  Code:
man [command name]

You will be presented with an explanation about the command, it's correct syntax, various examples of how to use it, and various other information.

Regarding not being able to login to BackTrack; after inserting the CD in your box, reboot. After the BIOS loads, you may (or may not) be asked if you'd like to boot from the CD. If you're asked, just press Enter. If your CD burned correctly, backTrack should start booting and you'll eventually get to a screen that looks like this (though without the VMware Player stuff);  ;)

This is the login screen and if you read the text, you'll see the cheat sheet don was mentioning. The root username is "root". The root password is "toor". Then start KDE by typing "startx". You may want to run some of the other options mentioned first like the DHCP daemon first.
BTW, it doesn't mention this, but if you want to start Fluxbox, then this is the place to type "flux".

Enjoy!  :D

<<

Dengar13

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:53 pm

VMWarez.com?  LOL!

I am all set, I just need to get network connectivity and start testing.  I tried DHCPCD but to no avail.  I also need my wireless network adapter for my laptop to be detected.  This is tough to get used to but I will learn 'Nix eventually.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

Dengar13

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:38 pm

I'm in!  Now all I need to do is learn hoe to use Linux commands for these tools.  This is a whole new world for me.  ;D
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

Dengar13

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Wow this is very, very cool!  I am trying these on approved sites at work for testing purposes and really give this a thumbs up!  ;D ;D ;D
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH

Return to Tools