Skype Valentine spam lure

<<

Xen

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 am

Skype Valentine spam lure

Websense Security Labs™ ThreatSeeker™ Network has spotted an emerging malicious spam lure, masquerading as a message from Skype.

The spammed message uses Skype's logos and themes, posing as a Valentine promotion. With two days to go before Valentine's day, the fake promotion entices the user into sending a free Valentine video message to a loved one. The proposed video link in the message leads to a malicious compressed archive file named valentine.exe located at http://[removed]ftp.com/skype.com/valentine/valentine.exe (SHA1: e5f752badaf0fbc0afcf3081ac10bf781da59de6).

Executing the file installs a version of Skype along with an IRC backdoor file named: spoolsv.exe.
http://securitylabs.websense.com/conten ... /3305.aspx
<<

Ne0

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 am

Re: Skype Valentine spam lure

at the Counter Terror Expo in London. An industry source disclosed that America's supersecret National Security Agency (NSA) is offering "billions" to any firm which can offer reliable eavesdropping on Skype IM and voice traffic.

The spybiz exec, who preferred to remain anonymous, confirmed that Skype continues to be a major problem for government listening agencies, spooks and police. This was already thought to be the case, following requests from German authorities for special intercept/bugging powers to help them deal with Skype-loving malefactors. Britain's GCHQ has also stated that it has severe problems intercepting VoIP and internet communication in general.

Skype in particular is a serious problem for spooks and cops. Being P2P, the network can't be accessed by the company providing it and the authorities can't gain access by that route. The company won't disclose details of its encryption, either, and isn't required to as it is Europe based. This lack of openness prompts many security pros to rubbish Skype on "security through obscurity" grounds: but nonetheless it remains a popular choice with those who think they might find themselves under surveillance. Rumour suggests that America's NSA may be able to break Skype encryption - assuming they have access to a given call or message - but nobody else.
<<

NickFnord

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 am

last I heard, rumour had it that NSA agents can break RSA, walk on water and intercept forum posts before people hit the "post" bu
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 am

;D

:-X

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Everyone knows that NSA agents don't *have* to walk on water. The water knows better than to still be in the way by the time their feet hit the ground.
<<

Ne0

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 am

gluppp glupp gluppp gluppp
<<

Ne0

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:15 am

NASA or CIA dont have a sh1t with them they copy our ideas, they steal our men, and utilise for them self
<<

jason

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Not to mention more computing power than god...
<<

Ne0

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:11 am

hands without brains of no use,
they have money we have brains , we melt for money thats what make them on a step high, or they would just mend wht they have and keep on mending and look at each others face's :P
<<

NickFnord

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:53 am

Ne0 wrote:hands without brains of no use,
they have money we have brains , we melt for money thats what make them on a step high, or they would just mend wht they have and keep on mending and look at each others face's :P

hmmm - I read this twice.  is it some sort of zen poem?
I tried to summarise and got this:

-------------
Hands without brains
No use is money, need brains
we have all the brains

we melt for money.
that's what makes them a step high
just mend what they have

Keep on mending.
Look at each others Faces!
-------------

nope, sorry I still don't get it.  ???
<<

Ne0

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:05 am

hahah Nickford i didnt say any poem man read it carefully i said something for hackers hahaha...
<<

timmedin

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:44 pm

Ne0 wrote:hahah Nickford i didnt say any poem man read it carefully i said something for hackers hahaha...

I'm with Nick.  ???
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com

Return to Malware