[Article] Fake parking tickets direct to malicious Web site

<<

Fathercat

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:53 pm

[Article] Fake parking tickets direct to malicious Web site

Found this on CNet

[quote=http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10156841-83.html?tag=newsCategoryArea.2]In a scary online-offline Internet scam, hybrid cars in North Dakota have been tagged with fake parking citations that include a Web address hosting malicious software that drops a Trojan onto the computer.

The yellow tickets found on the cars in Grand Forks, North Dakota, read "PARKING VIOLATION This vehicle is in violation of standard parking regulations. To view pictures with information about your parking preferences, go to" and gave a Web site, according to a blog posting on the SANS Internet Storm Center site.

The site referenced shows photos of cars in parking lots in that town and prompts the visitor to download a toolbar to see purported photos of the ticketed car. Downloading the executable installs a Trojan and displays a fake security alert when the system is rebooted. The fake alert prompts the computer user to install a fake anti-virus scanner, SANS said.

"The initial program installed itself as a browser helper object (BHO) for Internet Explorer that downloaded a component from childhe.com and attempted to trick the victim into installing a fake anti-virus scanner from bestantispyware securityscan.com and protectionsoft warecheck.com," wrote SANS analyst Lenny Zeltser.

[/quote]

Without photos of the ticket...talking with my co-workers here.  Asked if you gotten a ticket with the option to go online and pay versus showing up at the courthouse...Would you?

I know that whole toolbar thing was just funny.  But given a link to pay for a ticket... I probably would go check it out. 

CISSP
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: [Article] Fake parking tickets direct to malicious Web site

Brilliant social engineering tactic to push a client-side attack.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

KrisTeason

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Good read and Fathercat, with all these articles I've been reading lately about BHOs & Client-Side attacks, it's a definite I won't be using Internet Explorer any time soon.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Fathercat

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Can always be more paranoid and go back to a text only web browser :-)

CISSP
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Ahh that's a sneaky one.

Return to News from the Outside World