Question on Various Certs

<<

Caravan

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:38 am

Question on Various Certs

I'm just curious as to where I can find study guides, etc to such certs as the CPTS, CPTE, ECSA, OSCP, GPEN, GIAC

I've tried to find books, documentation, etc but there doesn't seem to be much out there..unless I'm just looking in the wrong places...

Any help would be appreciated
<<

vijay2

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Question on Various Certs

I think None of them are available free on the net ( or they should'nt be). You can always go to SANS (sans.org) for GIAC Certs and E-council for others.

Hope this Helps

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

Caravan

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:59 am

Yes it does. Unfortunately it seems like for a lot of these, training courses are in order...so that can be a little challenging since I'm broke.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:03 pm

MS & Cisco dominate the cert scene with millions of certified individuals. I mention that, because the publishing houses run these numbers to determine for which certs to do study guides. So if you look at those with the biggest numbers (quality is not the determining factor here), you'll most likely find study guides and books. If it is specialized and the numbers are small, then we're SOL. This is why you can find guides for CISSP, Security+, CEH, CISA and a few others, but not many exist for the very specialized credentials such as those in your list below. Hope this explains why you're not seeing them.

On the other hand, you can find some great info online if you know where to look. Start by going to the site for each cert that interests you. There is always at least an outline of what is covered. You can take that and then research on your own. When you find some great resources, be sure to share them here in the respective Forum Board for that given cert.  ;)

If you're lucky, some courses actually use a published book as the textbook for the course such as CEPT and the book Shellcoder's Handbook.

One could also argue that this is why these credentails are better. They require you to do more than just read a guide and take a test. On the flip side of that argument is that if a cert program is not popular enough for a guide, then will anyone recognize it's value on your resume. Hmmmmm...

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

timmedin

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:26 pm

SANS has a work-study program that allows you to be a facilitator and get the class and cert attempt for less (~$700). That might be your best bet since there is nothing free.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com

Return to General Certification