Should I go for it ?

<<

COm_BOY

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:06 am

Should I go for it ?

Hello everyone,
                    I am new over here and I want to discuss something about my career here with you guys . I did my Diploma in Networks in 2006 and then started searching for the job but never got any so I decided to resume my academic qualifications until I get some job because I was too young for it . I gave 3 papers of MCSE at that time . I was always curious of working on cisco products because in our area people having experience on cisco devices were respected much and payed more as compared to the microsoft guys. Also when it came to cisco we usually talked about huge networks and Microsoft was always for smaller networks whenever it comes to Routing and Switching and other stuff ( regardless of the mailing services ) . I always dreamed about getting into the "IT Security" field and so I am right now . In 2008 I got an opportunity to get an internship into a bank and then after the internship I entered a Cisco's Partner company as a Network Engineer providing high end solution country wide . I now am working towards my CCSP and there are only 2 papers left for me to get my CCSP credentials . I now have forgot most of the stuff of Microsoft, still I have got good hands on troubleshooting smaller things because I got 9 years of experience with this thing called a Personal Computer and Windows .  I dont have much experience on Linux operating systems , just Installed Kubuntu on my personal Laptop . I want to ask you guys that If i enroll in the OSCP course , will I be able to get through it ? I have seen its course outline and it seems similar to the CEH course outline but it has got the challenge exam . I now don't have much skills on System Administration side , I am more leaned towards networks now, should I think of getting my hands dirty in this Penetration Testing field or should I continue my Network Administration field and go for CCIE-Security . One more thing is that in our area there is a short of penetration testers people hardly know about methodology like OSSTMM etc. In simple words there is a shortage of people working in specialized areas.
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Should I go for it ?

If I were you I'd get comfortable with the Linux environment more especially Back Track considering that's what the course is using. I think it's good you got some networking knowledge behind your belt I'd just say get to the point to where you feel quite comfortable within linux. I'm unaware of how similar it looks to the C|EH but I have heard unlike the C|EH, the Offensive Security Course actually proves your ability to hack. If I were you I'd eventually go for it, I've heard positive things about the course.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

COm_BOY

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 pm

BackTrack is based on slackware linux . My friend just passed RHCE and I will learn some of basic things of linux from him . Waiting for other people comments on this topic .
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

jadyason

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

It sounds like you have crammed a lot into a short time. That's good. I did a Diploma of Network Engineering and a CCNA content course while I was a trainee. I have touched any other certifications, but have been dabbling with Linux and C++ a little.

When you say there is a shortage of people working in specialized areas, do you mean that there is a demand for specialized roles or no one really working in them?

I'm in a similar situation. I love the InfoSec field and would like the challenge of the OSCP course. I'm planning on testing out BackTrack more seriously in a lab environment. Once I'm more familiar with it I plan to give the course a go

I would say if your not yet comfortable, try to make yourself learning more on Linux and more specifically BackTrack. I have heard really good things about this course. The big thing I've heard is that you actually have to learn what they teach in order to be successful.
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:36 pm

COm_BOY wrote:BackTrack is based on slackware linux .

Indirectly. Backtrack is based on slax, which is based on slackware.
<<

Chan

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 pm

jason wrote:
COm_BOY wrote:BackTrack is based on slackware linux .

Indirectly. Backtrack is based on slax, which is based on slackware.

Not any more it seems, BT4 is Ubuntu(Debian) based:
http://remote-exploit.org/news.html
CCNA, 100m Swimming cert.
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Nice. I'm glad to see that change.
<<

COm_BOY

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 am

Thats good if BT4 is Ubuntu based because I have been using Kubuntu for quite a time now... and I am pretty much know its commands... and I love that SUDO command.

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional